Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Apr 2005, 21:36 (Ref:1272846)   #1
pD F1
Racer

pD F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What are Pedro Diniz and Nicola Larini doing these days?

I know Diniz left F1 at the end of 2000, but I haven't heard what he's done since, the rich Brazilian!

As for Larini, since 97, he has been Ferrari test driver but what's he been doing these last couple of years? Le Mans?
Old 7 Apr 2005, 21:42 (Ref:1272849)   #2
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nicola Larini spent a good while racing for Alfa Romeo in Touring Car's, after a year or two away from Touring Cars he now is beginning racing for Chevrolet in the WTCC this weekend, which can be caugh on Eurosport.

Not sure on Diniz sorry.

Last edited by touringlegend; 7 Apr 2005 at 21:43.
Old 7 Apr 2005, 21:44 (Ref:1272852)   #3
Andrew Gunnell
Racer

United Kingdom
stratford-upon-avon
Andrew Gunnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Larini is racing for Alfa in the WTCC this year I think.
Old 7 Apr 2005, 22:05 (Ref:1272867)   #4
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Diniz is organizer of FRenault i think . in brazil . or something similar .
Larini is racing for Chevy in WTCC

Ciao Marco
Old 7 Apr 2005, 22:18 (Ref:1272874)   #5
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Doesn't Pedro have something to do with a supermarket chain ?
Old 7 Apr 2005, 22:23 (Ref:1272878)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Larini's at Chevy in the WTCC, alongside former BTCC champion Alain Menu and the promising Rob Huff. The racing's bound to be thrilling, with a few guys you'll recognise from F1.

I think Diniz's dad owns a major supermarket chain in Brazil - the Parmalat sponsorship money that funded Pedro's career (and initially much of the Forti team) was in exchange for priority placement of Parmalat production (great alliteration, eh?) in those supermarkets. I suspect that Pedro will focus on the business, making sure that when Brazillians say to each other "Diniz in the oven", those products have come form one of his stores (bad joke there, sorry).
Old 8 Apr 2005, 01:17 (Ref:1272937)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxer
Doesn't Pedro have something to do with a supermarket chain ?

Doesn't his father own it or something? I'm sure Parmalat rings a bell, not sure how accurate that is though.
Old 8 Apr 2005, 01:18 (Ref:1272938)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Ooops, just read Boot's post, sorry
Old 8 Apr 2005, 03:27 (Ref:1272974)   #9
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pedro Diniz's father, Abilio Diniz, is the owner of the Pao de Açúcar supermarkets.
Old 8 Apr 2005, 12:42 (Ref:1273279)   #10
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jackie Stewart always said that the two most important drivers in F1 were Michael Schumacher because he's the best, and Pedro Diniz because he's the richest. It can't be coincidence that Forti, Ligier and Arrows all either folded or were sold within a couple of years of losing his money.
Old 8 Apr 2005, 12:49 (Ref:1273283)   #11
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You may remember that the Dinz family bought into the Prost team, which proved to be an expensive and short lived investment.
Old 8 Apr 2005, 13:22 (Ref:1273310)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Did they actually buy in?

I seem to recall Alain wanted them to - but the Diniz family didn't go through with the deal.
Old 8 Apr 2005, 13:36 (Ref:1273323)   #13
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sadly for the Diniz family they did, they bought a 40% stake for (IIRC) $30M.
Old 8 Apr 2005, 18:49 (Ref:1273562)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hmmmm.....I thought that fell through in the end?

Still, ST, you know more about the financial aspect of F1 than most I guess so you must be right!
Old 8 Apr 2005, 19:04 (Ref:1273584)   #15
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/con-prost.html

Prost restructured again, bringing in Joan Villadelprat as managing director and Henri Durand as technical director and selling a shareholding in the team to the Diniz Family. Alain also did a deal for the team to use Ferrari engines in 2001 and there was much optimism at the start of 2001 that the team was finally moving in the right direction. But the money ran out and at the start of 2002 Prost went out of business, leaving a debt of around $30m.
Old 8 Apr 2005, 19:07 (Ref:1273585)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hmmm.....must be thinking of a different deal.

I thought Diniz and co were planning some kind of deal in summer 2001 but it fell through in the end over some kind of fallout or something? There was definitely some Diniz deal that didn't go through.....a takeover bid perhaps?
Old 8 Apr 2005, 19:30 (Ref:1273606)   #17
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Prost had several attempts at selling the team, you may be thinking of the middle eastern buyers who were loking at buying the team - but the deal never happened.

That saga was recounted in BE's F1 Mag, it was quite a tale...!
Old 8 Apr 2005, 19:50 (Ref:1273617)   #18
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by N I Tram
Jackie Stewart always said that the two most important drivers in F1 were Michael Schumacher because he's the best, and Pedro Diniz because he's the richest. It can't be coincidence that Forti, Ligier and Arrows all either folded or were sold within a couple of years of losing his money.
Sauber pulled through....(bites tongue)
Old 8 Apr 2005, 21:58 (Ref:1273690)   #19
ale16
Rookie

ale16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
diniz is running ppd sports in Brazil, a sports marketing company... most of his efforts are to keep Brazilian Formula Renault Championship alive. He is working on this together with Andre RIbeiro, ex-champcar driver. Diniz also has invested in some young drivers, like Roberto Streit, ex TDA and now racing in Japanese F3.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 12:28 (Ref:1273950)   #20
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The deal with Diniz that didn't go through might be concerning Arrows. Diniz took Tom Walkinshaw to court a few times in 2001 to try to enforce his rights against Arrows, right at the end of its life-cycle.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 13:22 (Ref:1273982)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tourer
Prost had several attempts at selling the team, you may be thinking of the middle eastern buyers who were loking at buying the team - but the deal never happened.

That saga was recounted in BE's F1 Mag, it was quite a tale...!
Yeah, I think you're right!

I had that article in mind when thinking about all the Diniz business....so i just confused it with other buyers!
Old 9 Apr 2005, 16:30 (Ref:1274092)   #22
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I swore murry once said that the Diniz family owned sainsburrys, in brazil , maybe I was wrong.

Last edited by Mike_Wooshy; 9 Apr 2005 at 16:31.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 17:06 (Ref:1274114)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

He probably said something like "The Brazilian equivalent of Sainsburys".