Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 16 May 2005, 13:54 (Ref:1302212)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Winner's and Loser's - Indy Qualifying

My winner's -

1 - Danica Patrick, for having what looked to be a pole winning run, except for that first turn, first lap bobble. She is the real deal!

2 - Chevy, who was a very pleasant surprise having all 3 cars in the top 11. They could very well be up front come race day.

3 - Jeff Bucknam, for surprising everyone and getting into the field on the first day. Especially good after coming off that terrible start at Motegi.

4 - Scott Sharp, for continuing his career resurection with a fine qualifying run that is sure to make him a threat come race day.

My loser's -

1 - Red Bull Cheever, for simply having no answers to there speed problems. I simply cannot believe how bad this very expierienced team looks.

2 - Ganassi, who is looking like a rookie team out there also. Briscoe is really stuggling, and just looks snake-bit, as is Manning who looked very nervous out there, and admitted as much.

3 - Toyota, again makes my list, because besides Penske, they have done zero work to get their engines up to speed for Indy no matter what team owners are telling us. They will be nowhere come race day!

Who are your winners and losers?

Danica Patrick
Old 16 May 2005, 14:08 (Ref:1302220)   #2
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
winners...danica...great drive....great a$$

losers...indycr...20 cars for petes sake...its an embarresment for indy
Old 16 May 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1302225)   #3
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk
losers...indycr...20 cars for petes sake...its an embarresment for indy
You know, qualifying isn't over yet...
Old 16 May 2005, 14:19 (Ref:1302232)   #4
infoxicated
Rookie

Scotland
UK
infoxicated has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Winners
Danica for keeping it out of the wall.
Tony Kanaan for reminding us all that he's the reigning champion.
Scott Sharp for putting up another great run in his comeback year.
Buddy Lazier for proving he still has what it takes.

Losers
Ryan Briscoe for yet another wreck.
Dan Wheldon for his little tantrum.
Bryan Herta for putting in another lacklustre performance, just when we thought he was back on form.
Tony George for letting 89 years of history come to this, the lowest ebb of the Indy 500.
Old 16 May 2005, 14:23 (Ref:1302240)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The loser here is our local #10 coverage... they showed a Target car hitting the fence, and claimed it was Danica Patrick biting the concrete
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 16 May 2005, 14:31 (Ref:1302247)   #6
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ASCARRacingUK, for not knowing about the qualifying system, is a big winner.....

AGR will probably be disappointed with their combined grid positions, even though they have the pole. The Toyota teams will be especially disappointed with their results. The non-regulars who've already qualified should also be proud of their results, especially Bucknum as mentioned.
Old 16 May 2005, 15:12 (Ref:1302282)   #7
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Winners: Kanaan (pole day is for the pole after all); Hornish (after that frightening crash, the 2nd place is very goooood); Danica (of course given the circumstances), Buddy Lazier (who'd have bet him in top 10?)

Losers: Ganassis, Wheldon, Scheckter
Old 16 May 2005, 15:36 (Ref:1302296)   #8
jock25
Racer

jock25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by infoxicated
Winners
Dan Wheldon for his little tantrum.
What is this? Was poster-boy Dan being a little petulant...tell me more!
Many IRL fans have yet to see that DW can whinge with the best of them

Winners:

Tony Kannan
Danica Patrick
Sam Hornish - tremendous performance after that flip.

Losers:

Wheldon
Ganassi - STILL just waiting to turn right
Pat Carpentier's relationship with Eddie
Old 16 May 2005, 15:47 (Ref:1302299)   #9
infoxicated
Rookie

Scotland
UK
infoxicated has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It was nothing major - just Danny boy refusing to get out of the car until he found more speed. He didn't.
Old 16 May 2005, 15:52 (Ref:1302301)   #10
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You see that jock, posterboy Dan can't shine Dario's shoes when it comes to whining!

I have to give Dario his due though for having a last minute go for the pole yesterday. Thats what makes pole day so exciting.

Danica Patrick
Old 16 May 2005, 17:13 (Ref:1302354)   #11
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
YEP APOLOGIES GUYS...MY F""CKUP.......forgot therewas a second session!
Old 16 May 2005, 17:17 (Ref:1302360)   #12
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk
YEP APOLOGIES GUYS...MY F""CKUP.......forgot therewas a second session!
I think it's safe to say you aren't alone when it comes to not knowing all the details about the new system
Old 16 May 2005, 23:23 (Ref:1302643)   #13
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Biggest winner - Rahal for not giving in to the hype and pulling Danica's time. 4th is a very good place to start from and there was a lot more to lose than there was to gain if they had let her go again.

Other winners include Jeff Bucknum for qualifying for his first Indy 500 and obviously Tony Kanaan.

Loser - Tomas Scheckter for being the slowest of the 3 Panther cars, led by Buddy Lazier in his first race in a hell of a long time... guess that makes Buddy one of my winners.

The new qualifying system, which would have made it a lot more exciting if it hadn't rained... it never had a shot.
Old 16 May 2005, 23:54 (Ref:1302662)   #14
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Winners,
Scott Sharp
chevy maybe it was becuse it was sunday and there was three of them they did a great job in my book.
Me cause i had to work on staurday and got all of sunday to watvch the qualifying.

Losers

As reported by channel seven an abc affiliate a mister boscoe for crashing his car.

Bourdais and Junqueria
Old 17 May 2005, 02:18 (Ref:1302692)   #15
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
What happened to Briscoe?
Old 17 May 2005, 07:10 (Ref:1302773)   #16
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabs_nsx
As described on the Toyota Australia motorsport site:

http://www.toyotamotorsport.com.au/n...asp?story=1172
Old 17 May 2005, 07:40 (Ref:1302791)   #17
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabs_nsx
This happened:

Old 17 May 2005, 08:59 (Ref:1302839)   #18
jock25
Racer

jock25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
You see that jock, posterboy Dan can't shine Dario's shoes when it comes to whining!
We will see. I am quietly confident that when things start to go wrong for Dan - a dubious call by IRL officials here, AGR cock-up there - he will give Dario a run for his money
Old 18 May 2005, 01:50 (Ref:1303385)   #19
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenoch
Losers

As reported by channel seven an abc affiliate a mister boscoe for crashing his car.
i didnt know that being a perfect driver is a prerequisit to racing in Indy

Ryans a rookie in the sport for christ sake
Old 18 May 2005, 02:07 (Ref:1303389)   #20
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He has wrecked a few times since switching to IRL.

But he ain't the only one to have had a "moment" at Indy this year ..... or any other year for that matter.
Old 18 May 2005, 02:15 (Ref:1303392)   #21
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hey, last year Bryan Herta wrecked in qualifying.

Bryan Herta.

Give Ryan a break
Old 18 May 2005, 02:54 (Ref:1303402)   #22
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenoch
Losers

I think the loser in this case is whoever called him Boscoe. That's not even close.
Old 18 May 2005, 12:56 (Ref:1303727)   #23
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrevhead
i didnt know that being a perfect driver is a prerequisit to racing in Indy

Ryans a rookie in the sport for christ sake
When we say losers, its not personal. It just means that he didn't look good or do well in a given situation, in this case Indy quals.

It's safe to say though, that Ryan hasn't had a good go of things since he's come here. He's crashed in pre-season testing a couple of times, and has crashed out of 3 of 4 races, and now Indy qualifying, and he's on a top team. All these wrecks get expensive, even for Ganassi. Many have called for a drivers head for less than this. AJ FoytIV and Mark Taylor come to mind immediately.

There are drivers that never get the hang of this oval stuff. Alittle to early to tell for Ryan, but he needs to get it together and get a couple of clean top 10 finishes, or else the rumors will fly IMHO...

Danica Patrick
Old 18 May 2005, 22:05 (Ref:1304128)   #24
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was calling the abc affiliate the loser, Briscoe did a pretty good job consider his season so far and his experience at Indy.
Old 19 May 2005, 00:11 (Ref:1304184)   #25
mac
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
He's crashed in pre-season testing a couple of times, and has crashed out of 3 of 4 races, and now Indy qualifying, and he's on a top team.
Just for the record. He never crashed in pre-season testing.

And I don't know that Ganassi could necessarily be considered a top team at the moment. They have the resources, but they just don't currently have the package.

His speeds are comparable to his highly regarded team mates on all ovals in almost every session, and they can barely keep up with him when the track turns both ways.

He just needs to get the hang of racing on ovals. He's not afraid to go quickly and he does, he just needs to learn pack racing.

As for his prang in qualifying, his first lap was the quickest he'd been all month and he was looking at qualifying around 10th, until the accident.

He said the set-up was right on the edge, and it's likely that the team would have known this and thus I don't think they'd be too disturbed with the prang.

I won't bag a guy for trying to wring everything out of an ill-performing machine.

But I agree he needs to record some decent results ...... for his confidence as much as anything. They'll come.