Old 20 May 2005, 06:47 (Ref:1305102)   #1
C32
Rookie

C32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sony PS3 will kick Microsoft ass - Here's why

Microsoft plays Sony game

Reed Stevenson

May 20, 2005

Executives at Microsoft are trying to unseat gaming market leader Sony and claim the Japanese consumer elec-tronics maker has lost some of the advantages that made its PlayStation gaming machine a top-selling video-game console.

Microsoft has forged stronger rel-ationships with the industry's top game publishers - alliances that can make or break a console's success - and for the first time will beat Sony to market with its next-generation console.

Sony, which unseated Nintendo as the industry's top console maker and drove Sega's Genesis console out of business a decade ago, still controls more than two-thirds of the market.

Its current generation console, the PlayStation2, beat Microsoft's Xbox console to the market more than four years ago. This time, however, Micro-soft is launching its next-generation Xbox 360 console ahead of the 2005 holiday season and ahead of Sony's launch of its PlayStation3, which is set for spring 2006.

Since they last faced off, Microsoft has courted the industry's top video-game publishers, including Electronic Arts and Square Enix in the same way Sony courted the top game makers a decade ago when the PlayStation first launched, said Robbie Bach, chief of Microsoft's home and entertainment division, at the Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles.

"What happens is there's a certain amount of ego,'' Bach said. "It gets in the way of what's important.'' And that, he said, was all about partner - game publisher - success.

Microsoft has also offered game publishers a bigger cut of proceeds from game sales and hired key executives from within the gaming industry to court developers.

That's also the model Microsoft adopted for Windows, luring top soft-ware companies to write programs for its personal computer operating system, making it a monopoly. "It goes back to our roots,'' Bach said.

Sony, meanwhile, said Microsoft's Xbox 360 won't be able to compete against Sony's newest console because it lacks future technology, such as newly designed microchips, high-resolution graphics and a next-generation DVD player.

"It's a box made of future technology as opposed to Xbox 1.5, which seems to be a combination of things available today,'' Sony Computer Entertainment America president Kazuo Hirai said, implying the Xbox 360 isn't quite a full upgrade to version "2.0.''

Both companies are trash-talking each other and playing up the future capabilities of their newest gaming machines, partly because the time lag between major console releases is getting longer.

Bach said software update services, which can keep console system hardware up-to-date, allow for longer life cycles and Microsoft had already demonstrated such capabilities for its current-generation Xbox console. "We've built in a lot of headroom,'' Bach said.

Bach also noted Sony's lack of talk over an online strategy for the Play-Station3.

Microsoft said it will have more than two million users for its Xbox Live online service by the end of June. The software giant is introducing a free Xbox Live service with Xbox 360 that it says will put more than half of that console's gamers online.REUTERS

Old 20 May 2005, 06:58 (Ref:1305105)   #2
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone read the specs on the Xbox360? Its not a console, it's a damn PC in disguise. You'll never, EVER get me buying a console from mircrosoft. Long live playstation!
Old 20 May 2005, 07:04 (Ref:1305107)   #3
SkylineR34
Rookie

Hong Kong
SkylineR34 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Make do with a PSP before the PS3 comes out. Down with the evil empire that is Microsoft.
Old 20 May 2005, 09:06 (Ref:1305188)   #4
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
What about all the people who have bought the PS2 already. Some people payed up to $750 for them. Who has the money to go out and buy a PS3 after paying all that money on a PS2. I payed $500 for my PS2. I only bought my PS2 a couple of years ago and they expect me to spend a aroud $700-$1000 on a PS3. I don't have money to burn.

You should be able to trade in your PS2 and $200 for a PS3.
Old 20 May 2005, 10:05 (Ref:1305239)   #5
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I spent €500 on my PS2 over 5 years ago, and €200 for my second one almost a year ago after the laser on my first one burnt out.
That's €700 in total for two PS2's in over 5 years, not even mentioning the shedloads of games I bought for it...
I'd be more than happy to dish out another €500-to-€1000 for the PS3 when it arrives in the shops here though.
But I do hope it has backwards compatibility so that it plays PS2 games as well...
Old 20 May 2005, 11:14 (Ref:1305280)   #6
frostblade
Racer

frostblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It does have backwards compatibility, right back to playing PS1 games.
Old 20 May 2005, 11:53 (Ref:1305305)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well I'll get both machines, as I'm sure most will.

However, Microsoft are on a loser again here you feel.
Old 20 May 2005, 12:10 (Ref:1305322)   #8
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know what your retailers are like, but in the UK there are a few national chains that do trade-ins for games and consoles. For those that don't have the cash to burn, that's a great way of easing the financial pain.
Old 20 May 2005, 18:39 (Ref:1305607)   #9
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i don't understand why people seem so loyal to sony, and label microsoft as an evil corporation, even if itis in jest. the laser disk problems with the ps2 are scandalous imo, and i can't understand why people are so happy to buy another one when the original breaks down.
microsoft aren't perfect, and i can understand people being put off by bill gates, but since i've had an x-box the ps2 has sat untouched in the corner.
Old 20 May 2005, 18:52 (Ref:1305618)   #10
jslone
Racer

United States
Gaithersburg Maryland
jslone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are advantages to having both,if you are a gamer then having both should not be an issue.For example the Kotor series is one of the best,and can be only found on Xbox,same with Porject Gotham Racing,PLaystation has the Gran Tursimo series and started with the Grand Thef Auto series as well as others.Right now I would give the slight advantage to Xbox because of the online play that it has.So to have both is a great thing.
The forums head dirtbag and headhog
Old 20 May 2005, 19:08 (Ref:1305625)   #11
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
New Britain, CT; Local Track: Lime Rock
Magical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslone
There are advantages to having both,if you are a gamer then having both should not be an issue.For example the Kotor series is one of the best,and can be only found on Xbox,same with Porject Gotham Racing,PLaystation has the Gran Tursimo series and started with the Grand Thef Auto series as well as others.Right now I would give the slight advantage to Xbox because of the online play that it has.So to have both is a great thing.
Is it really better though?
Microsoft is charging people for online play against each other while offering extra content for free-while Sony is offering free online play but will supposedly charge for extra content.

I dunno about you, but I've always preferred playing against humans rather than AI-even if it's on a different level/track/whatever.

Plus, PS3 is better suited for the internet (3 ethernet ports + built in wireless)
*Yes, I used to be RacerGuy2. You don't really think I'd stick with that name the whole time now did you? ;)
Old 20 May 2005, 19:13 (Ref:1305631)   #12
jslone
Racer

United States
Gaithersburg Maryland
jslone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Built in wirless,that I missed,does the spec say how far away you can have the console?
The forums head dirtbag and headhog
Old 20 May 2005, 19:17 (Ref:1305636)   #13
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Live! is a superb set up and for about £3 a month it's not exactly a huge expense. I long had just the PS2 but bought an Xbox for Halo, Splinter Cell and PGR2, all of which are simply immense online. Halo 2 really is worth owning Live! all on on it's own.
Old 20 May 2005, 20:32 (Ref:1305694)   #14
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
these threads are funny.

seriously, ill get both and enjoy both.
Old 20 May 2005, 20:35 (Ref:1305695)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's the spirit!
Old 20 May 2005, 21:20 (Ref:1305724)   #16
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll probably get both as well, depends what games are being announced for Xbox 360 and PS3 exclusive...
Old 20 May 2005, 21:53 (Ref:1305740)   #17
Es Nes
Veteran

i really dislike that word when it comes to console gaming.

Quote:
exclusive
Old 20 May 2005, 22:24 (Ref:1305763)   #18
ASCII Man
Veteran

Well, that's how it is these days, some developers choose to use a single platform so that they can develop their games in order to utilize the platforms full capabilities.
With a multi platform game there are always compromises to be made and the gaming experience for the same game across platforms can vary quite alot because of it...
It makes perfect sense to do so really IMO...
Old 20 May 2005, 22:43 (Ref:1305773)   #19
Es Nes
Veteran

this is true, i just dont like the thought of droping big money for a single game. also, id suggest that a company could have two teams working together, but, then theyd probably have a hard time justifing the extra cost of devolpement.

oh well.
Old 20 May 2005, 22:58 (Ref:1305780)   #20
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Well I'll get both machines, as I'm sure most will.

However, Microsoft are on a loser again here you feel.
Typical prawn sandwich eating Man ure fan, too much money!!

Actually I had an X-box briefly but did'nt get on with it - PS2 for me thanks. I'd get a PSP but then I would'nt do anything ever.
Old 21 May 2005, 01:17 (Ref:1305814)   #21
C32
Rookie

C32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know that anything rushed for the Christmas shelves is done to capitalize on a shoddy product.

For me it is PS, PS2, PSP to PS3 and beyond.
Old 21 May 2005, 13:44 (Ref:1306049)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani
Typical prawn sandwich eating Man ure fan, too much money!!

Actually I had an X-box briefly but did'nt get on with it - PS2 for me thanks. I'd get a PSP but then I would'nt do anything ever.
I tend to find bread spoils prawns, but that's just my opinion.

They are released 18 months apart so it's not too much of a hardship.......I'll probably put a tenner a month away and make up the rest with a months wage or something. ANd X-Box 360 is rumoured to only be £100 anyways.
Old 21 May 2005, 17:00 (Ref:1306182)   #23
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the big thing for me with this next generation of consoles isn't how much the system costs, but more how much the games cost, there has been talk of them costing anything up to £60, which would limit my meagre budget further. i don't mind one big outlay on the actual console itself, but i would definately only be buying second hand or older games.
Old 21 May 2005, 17:17 (Ref:1306199)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

The games will probably start out at £50, which is normal for a new console. They will then drop a tenner in price after about three months and eventually hit £30.

How do I know this? Well, it happens all the time. And there is always talk of the games costing £60 - £70.......it never happens.

The only time games have cost that much is when they have been on cartridges.
Old 21 May 2005, 21:14 (Ref:1306364)   #25
ASCII Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by C32
You know that anything rushed for the Christmas shelves is done to capitalize on a shoddy product.
True, the main reason why I won't buy any Lucas Arts product or see any of George Lucas' films ever again to name an example...