Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 9 Jun 2005, 05:08 (Ref:1323668)   #1
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Milwaulkee into the future

Much has been mentioned about Milwaukee after last weekends race. Mostly been involved in the poor crowd that was in attendance. As in Aus we didnt get the race untill Monday night, reading all reports on here I was expecting disaster, but from my viewpoint it didnt look tragic, down on previous years yes, but tragic. Maybe its just my eyes.

Anyways its clear that changes are needed. I see that on the Champcar website they are running a poll, asking what formula for the Milwaulkee event you want in the future. Robin Miller has his ideas to via the Roundtable and his article of the website. Some people have been quick to assert that due the low numbers champcar is likely to dump the track. I hope this isn't the case as the tracks great, its got that history,its an oval, NHR dont win there and previous years have shown the Milwaulkee do care about open wheel racing.

So what are your views regarding Milwaulkee into the future.

I agree with the motions of moving the event to the warmer summer time and put it back to a night race. Theres nothing nicer than relaxing on a warm summers night at a race track.
Old 9 Jun 2005, 13:41 (Ref:1323928)   #2
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
D.R.T., I agree with the idea of a night race in the summer there having a better chance. But, just IMO, Milwaukee and Portland are on the chopping block for '06 and beyond. Beijing will replace one of 'em. Milwaukee's tradition the week after Indy is when the cars and drivers from Indy came. That was the "hook." That's no longer the case. The management of State Fair Park at Milwaukee is in flux as a promoter, with Chrnelich, then Perrone, joining the CCWS staff. All is just not well overall there.
Old 9 Jun 2005, 16:17 (Ref:1324034)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Robin Miller:

Quote:
Nowadays, Milwaukee has become a NASCAR town - selling out the Busch race - so maybe Champ Car needs to think about going back to a night race later in the summer when it's hot and people might enjoy sitting outside for a couple hours.

Besides, there's an alternative one hour north of Milwaukee that remains the best road course in this country. Road America isn't hosting a Champ Car race this year and attendance withered away because of poor promotion and changing dates.

But Elkhart Lake might be a good purchase for Kevin Kalkhoven and Gerald Forsythe. If they got American LeMans, vintage Formula One cars and Formula Atlantics to run with Champ Cars all on the same weekend it could revitalize this classic circuit and give road racing fans in the Midwest a big event.
Old 10 Jun 2005, 05:32 (Ref:1324520)   #4
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
D.R.T., I agree with the idea of a night race in the summer there having a better chance. But, just IMO, Milwaukee and Portland are on the chopping block for '06 and beyond. Beijing will replace one of 'em.
I disagree that Beijing will definately replace one of them. I took that on the CCWS website that they were running a poll about future races, as good sign that they were commited to future races. ChampCar has also said it is committed to having oval races as part of the series.

Portland lets see how next weeks race goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
Milwaukee's tradition the week after Indy is when the cars and drivers from Indy came. That was the "hook."
The history part I was focusing on was that it is one of the oldest racing venues in America.
Old 10 Jun 2005, 14:06 (Ref:1324803)   #5
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Time will tell.....and yes, Milwaukee is THE oldest racing venue in America, predating even Indy.
Old 10 Jun 2005, 17:31 (Ref:1324929)   #6
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think CC needs to make a stand at certain events. I think Milwaukee is important to try to retain. Portland and Cleveland seem like they have the ingredients to succeed again, it's just a matter of making it happen. I'm not sure what that is, I'm not an expert on this matter and I don't have much data to look at.

It was suggested that the promo was lousy for Milwaukee. If that's the case they need to stop messing around and put some serious effort into improving the race.

I can't believe that Busch pushed CC out of the market. Milwaukee only seats 45k. Besides, if anyone pushed CC out it would probably be the IRL.
Old 10 Jun 2005, 17:35 (Ref:1324933)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
ChampCar without ovals is, (to me), not ChampCar at all.
It's hard enough trying to swallow the fact that there are no 500's.
Old 10 Jun 2005, 17:59 (Ref:1324955)   #8
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
ChampCar without ovals is, (to me), not ChampCar at all.
It's hard enough trying to swallow the fact that there are no 500's.
I agree, Champ Car would never be the same, although the guys in charge still want there to be oval races around 4, which is good, but unfortunately it doesn't look as though Milwaukee will be a Champ Car race in the future.
Old 10 Jun 2005, 19:11 (Ref:1324999)   #9
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One thing that was missing was the kind of promotion you see around the Denver and LB races for instance. If they want to keep it, they'll have to work hard at it.
Old 10 Jun 2005, 19:15 (Ref:1325001)   #10
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Edmonton promotion is excellent.
Old 11 Jun 2005, 03:09 (Ref:1325245)   #11
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
I agree, Champ Car would never be the same, although the guys in charge still want there to be oval races around 4, which is good, but unfortunately it doesn't look as though Milwaukee will be a Champ Car race in the future.
Lets not give up on it Luke.

I agree with both Mcdaddy and Luke, the diverity of circuits, streets, ovals makes champ car exactly that.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 20:36 (Ref:1327685)   #12
sr230772
Racer

sr230772 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree totally with whats been said about keeping millwaukie but racing to empty stands is not good for champ cars even if their are people watching it on t.v