Closed Thread

Old 5 Nov 2005, 12:39 (Ref:1452731)   #1
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jenson's sexism

Some of you might have heards about Jenson's comments last week in FHM about women racing drivers. Saying such daft things as, 'their breasts might get in the way'.

Anyway, my driver Sarah Playfair did me proud today with a really good article in the Scotsman. http://sport.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=2197862005

I honestly believe that once women drivers realise they can do it they will and they will be better.
Old 5 Nov 2005, 13:48 (Ref:1452765)   #2
flashF1
Racer

Canada
Canada
flashF1 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackmot
Some of you might have heards about Jenson's comments last week in FHM about women racing drivers. Saying such daft things as, 'their breasts might get in the way'.

Anyway, my driver Sarah Playfair did me proud today with a really good article in the Scotsman. http://sport.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=2197862005

I honestly believe that once women drivers realise they can do it they will and they will be better.
I think some one should slap Jenson something silly on the side of his big head. In most civilized cultures a woman is respected and afforded an equal opportunity.

But coming from a spoilt twit like Jenson who's daddy needs to be in the paddock 24/7 as his cheer leader does explain his lack of reality.

I am sure Jenson meant it as a joke, but one can not stop to think that he is the one being foolish because as a matter of fact he has yet to accomplish anything of real substance in F1.
Old 5 Nov 2005, 14:01 (Ref:1452768)   #3
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Nintendo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Jenson has always had a touch of foot-in-mouth syndrome, so this doesn't surprise me. Women should be given equal oppurtunities to race.
Old 5 Nov 2005, 14:01 (Ref:1452769)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's a quite a few young fe-male drivers in karting and are just as good.
Old 5 Nov 2005, 14:04 (Ref:1452775)   #5
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I do not think it was a joke, however I do not expect any better from such an idiot. Come on Jenson, grow up and let your actions count & not your speeches.
Old 5 Nov 2005, 14:07 (Ref:1452778)   #6
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashF1
I think some one should slap Jenson something silly on the side of his big head. In most civilized cultures a woman is respected and afforded an equal opportunity.

But coming from a spoilt twit like Jenson who's daddy needs to be in the paddock 24/7 as his cheer leader does explain his lack of reality.
Without doubt, you're right. Hell, look at women in rallying and touring cars (excluding that Formula Woman thing) and they're just as capable as men.
Old 5 Nov 2005, 14:08 (Ref:1452779)   #7
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing you read in FHM should be taken 100% seriously anyway. Everything Jenson said has some factual relevence - any female driver would be succeeding despite being a woman, not because of it. Nobody compained when the snooker player Jimmy White observed that women's breasts can get in the way of the cue action.
Old 5 Nov 2005, 14:11 (Ref:1452781)   #8
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by N I Tram
Nothing you read in FHM should be taken 100% seriously anyway.
Heh, true, reminds me of a funny issue. On one side was a picture of DC, and on the other an article about the dangers of fiddling with a wanger. A bit out of context, but it was just to highlight the above point.
Old 5 Nov 2005, 16:53 (Ref:1452867)   #9
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jenson was out of order with those comments. I know he came out later with some stuff to diffuse the situation, but once you've said something like that in the press, even if it is "playing to the crowd" in FHM, it will be registered for time eternal.

It does bring up an interesting point though. Despite their obvious lack of numbers, women are often very successful in lower formulae, particularly kart-racing, but as you get further up the motor-racing "food chain" they're less so. They benefit a lot from publicity etc... but that publicity seems to be more novelty on their sex i.e. 'that they're a woman choosing to compete in a quintessentially male sport', than the real merits of them as a driver. On the few occassions women have made it to F1, they've often been rubbished by the establishment c.f. Giovanna Amati at Brabham.

Its a sorry situation. Still there is hope on the horizon with Danica Patrick in the IRL. There is a lot of novelty still with her, but she's holding her own on the track too.
Old 5 Nov 2005, 16:57 (Ref:1452870)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
People complain drivers are robots, yet as soon as one says something which is not 100% PC they're crucified!
Old 5 Nov 2005, 16:59 (Ref:1452871)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Perhaps they do well in kart racing because they don't yet have the breasts? I don't think the criticism of Amati was unjust considering her lack of proven ability and the extent to which her place was dependent on her romantic involvements. Desiré Wilson was probably more deserving of a genuine chance. Both Danica Patrick and Katherine Legge are showing potential, but neither are as likely to succeed in F1 (if given the chance) as the media would have you believe. It's probably a classic case of trying to make something happen by writing about what it would be like if it did happen.
Old 5 Nov 2005, 16:59 (Ref:1452872)   #12
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
There should only be a tiny bid of comradory with viewers or readers. Whatever you say to anyone in the press will be morphed into something destructive, we all know. But saying sometinh like that straight off the bat? Come on Jenson, what are you 12 years old and still giggling about the thought of "8008135". Grow up.
Old 5 Nov 2005, 17:04 (Ref:1452877)   #13
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Perhaps they do well in kart racing because they don't yet have the breasts?
Do you really mean that ?

Quote:
I don't think the criticism of Amati was unjust considering her lack of proven ability and the extent to which her place was dependent on her romantic involvements.
And this too ?
Old 5 Nov 2005, 17:11 (Ref:1452881)   #14
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Sarcastic, the first point was, I hope....... (Sorry to speak like Yoda)

Last edited by Nintendo; 5 Nov 2005 at 17:17. Reason: Misread previous post
Old 5 Nov 2005, 17:15 (Ref:1452884)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Boots first point was clearly sarcastic, and his second point about Amati is largely accurate.

Ask Niki Lauda
Old 5 Nov 2005, 18:02 (Ref:1452913)   #16
flashF1
Racer

Canada
Canada
flashF1 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Perhaps they do well in kart racing because they don't yet have the breasts?
Do you mean the same breasts [his mom's of course] that possibly nutured Jenson ... or was Jenson hatched? How can you defend such idiotic statements?
Old 5 Nov 2005, 18:04 (Ref:1452914)   #17
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by N I Tram
Everything Jenson said has some factual relevence - any female driver would be succeeding despite being a woman, not because of it.
This is complete nonsense. And so are Jenson's comments. Watching this thread closely with the mouse pointer hovering on the close button.
Old 5 Nov 2005, 18:14 (Ref:1452917)   #18
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
People complain drivers are robots, yet as soon as one says something which is not 100% PC they're crucified!
I agree with you KB..however Jenson should know by now that when you touch on a subject like this it is advisible to air on the side of caution. It's a bit like saying that Honda can't build a race engine.
Old 5 Nov 2005, 18:17 (Ref:1452919)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I just ask, had James Hunt or Niki Lauda said the same thing 30 years ago, would there have been as much uproar?
Old 5 Nov 2005, 18:39 (Ref:1452924)   #20
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
I just ask, had James Hunt or Niki Lauda said the same thing 30 years ago, would there have been as much uproar?

That doesn't make it right though does it? It just means that these days there are just a lot less sexist remarks made in public or to the press, plus we are less tolerant of such remarks.
Old 5 Nov 2005, 18:56 (Ref:1452933)   #21
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jensons comments are just childish, he made himself sound like a kid on a playground rather than a professional adult. Its that kind of stupid remark that generalises a gender, race, colour or creed that is prejudiced. If he wanted to make comments on Danica he should have been specific about the reasons Danica is not going to make it to F1, that isnt sexism that is opinion.
Old 5 Nov 2005, 19:00 (Ref:1452935)   #22
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V

No there would not have been as much uproar. And that was the problem back then.

Just like racist comments should no longer be tolerated, sexist ones shouldn't either.

And this thread is getting pretty far from F1...