Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Nov 2005, 21:54 (Ref:1463528)   #1
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marcos Ambrose Signs NASCAR Driver Development Contract

Australian Champion Marcos Ambrose Signs NASCAR Driver Development Contract

Wood Brothers/JTG Racing has announced that two-time defending Australian V8 Supercar Champion Marcos Ambrose has signed a multi-year driver development agreement with the team.

The agreement calls for Ambrose to pilot a Ford F-150 in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck series next season with an eye toward driving one of the teams Ford Fusions in the NASCAR Busch Series and Nextel Cup series in the future.

The Wood Brothers racing team is the most tenured team in NASCAR’s premier series and the most winning team in Ford Racing NASCAR history. Past Wood Brothers pilots include NASCAR greats David Person, Neil Bonnett, Cale Yarborough, Buddy Baker, and most recently Ricky Rudd.

"It’s an honour to be chosen from a long list of drivers who would love to be with Wood Brothers/JTG Racing," said Ambrose

"The team provides a career path through the NASCAR major series all the way to Nextel Cup. I’m looking forward to the challenge and the next phase of my career.

"It's great to get this deal all signed before the final V8 Supercar race at Phillip Island next week.

"I want to end the season on a high with a win and who knows maybe a third title.

"My dealings with Ford and Ford Racing both here in Australia and the US as well as Wood Brothers/JTG has been excellent. Ford Australia President Tom Gorman has been an outstanding and without his direct input this deal would never have got off the ground."

Team owner Eddie Wood is excited about Ambrose.

"We have been blessed with some great drivers in our 55+ years in NASCAR and we had the opportunity to do some testing with Marcos this summer."

"He adapted quickly to these cars and we believe that, given time, he can add to our rich driver history. Marcos has quite a racing resume. We will start him in the Craftsman Truck Series next season and watch his development closely."

Ford Racing Australia Manager Ross Booth has given Ambrose his full support with the Wood Brothers/JTG partnership.

"Marcos has been a great champion and ambassador for the Ford brand in Australia, now it's time for him to do the same job in NASCAR," said Booth.

"This is a great opportunity in the US and it shows how the Ford Racing program around the world works hand-in-hand.

"It's great to see him with one of the legendary teams in Ford's rich heritage of 104 year of racing.

"He'll be lost to Australian race tracks, but with NASCAR coverage growing all the time here, his Aussie fans will be able to follow his performances each and every week.

"On behalf of everyone at the Ford Australia we want to wish Marcos all the best."

Ambrose first made an impression on Ford Racing Technology Director Dan Davis at Bathurst in 2003. Davis is confident that Ambrose will make the transition to the competitive world of NASCAR racing.

"We are extremely pleased to see Marcos Ambrose joining Wood Brothers/JTG Racing," said Dan Davis, Director Ford Racing Technology.

"He is a proven Champion, with his 'back to back' V8 Supercar Championships and the form he has shown in testing, we know he will continue his record of success in NASCAR.

"Marcos will be an asset to Wood Brothers/JTG Racing on and off the track. Everyone has been impressed with his ability in the car and also outside the car with the media and sponsors.

"He has a winning attitude that we know will be an essential part of the new Wood Brothers/JTG Racing team.

"We would like to thank Ford Australia for their support of Marcos and his move to the USA, and we are delighted that we have been able to facilitate this next step in his career."

Securing the team and backing for the move to NASCAR was the job of John Szymanski.

"We have been working with Marcos since January of this year and we are delighted to see he has reached an agreement with Wood Brothers/JTG Racing," said Szymanski, Manager Sponsor Relations.

"Marcos has impressed our sponsorship group with his attitude and approach to the sport and his interaction with sponsors is a key ingredient to this announcement, but ultimately, his form in testing and his ability behind the wheel is what makes this so exciting."

Ambrose plans a move to the US with his wife Sonja and newborn daughter Tabitha in early January.
Old 17 Nov 2005, 22:02 (Ref:1463533)   #2
Timu
Veteran

New Zealand
Waiuku, New Zealand
Timu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done..... Racing Ford F150's round an oval will be a different experience for Marcos thats for sure.....
Old 18 Nov 2005, 00:19 (Ref:1463647)   #3
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope he brains on 'em on the street and road circuits.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 01:21 (Ref:1463689)   #4
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
Flaming_Wuzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON
I hope he brains on 'em on the street and road circuits.
...which the series he'll be in doesn't race on. The first chance he'll get to road race in Nascar is in the Busch series, assuming they still race in Mexico City when Marcos moves up to there. If not, both Busch and Nextel run at Watkins Glen, and Nextel also runs at Sears Point...but that won't be for a while, as I'd imagine Marcos would stay in the truck series for a few years before moving up.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 01:56 (Ref:1463710)   #5
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, trucks don't turn right but I'll bet Ambrose does - he will get a run in at least a Busch car on a raod course this year. A Nextel ride is probably on the cards too as they get lots of one off appearances at these races.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 02:37 (Ref:1463745)   #6
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oops! Displaying my vast knowledge of NASCAR racing there. I assumed the Craftsman trucks ran at the same meetings as the Nextel Cup.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 04:30 (Ref:1463789)   #7
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have no real interest in MA as you would imagine going by my AV, but what does interest me is the F-150 series....can someone enlighten me as to how good is this series ? And how good is this contract? I have seen very little US racing apart from Nascar. (even that is limited)
Old 18 Nov 2005, 05:06 (Ref:1463801)   #8
Vanilla Dice
Veteran

MagnetON
Hope Island Resort
Vanilla Dice has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
From Supercar driver to Truck Driver

Top stuff

666 posts... over... and OUT..!
Old 18 Nov 2005, 07:37 (Ref:1463845)   #9
naughtymutt
Racer

naughtymutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
craftman truck = busch car with pickup body....
Old 18 Nov 2005, 10:15 (Ref:1463938)   #10
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It will be intresting to see if the home of motorsport CH seroius follows Marcos venture from the USA next year, and if so how much coverage will he get on CH10.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 18 Nov 2005, 10:21 (Ref:1463947)   #11
fordlover
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, AUstralia
fordlover should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
for those who have no idea what the craftsman trucks series is

try this link
http://www.nascar.com/series/truck/ it should explain everything.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 10:24 (Ref:1463951)   #12
pete60
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane
pete60 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Wood Brothers racing team is the most tenured team in NASCAR’s premier series and the most winning team in Ford Racing NASCAR history.

What is the " most tenured" team? Is that PR speak for the one that's been around the longest??
Old 18 Nov 2005, 11:04 (Ref:1463967)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete60
What is the " most tenured" team? Is that PR speak for the one that's been around the longest??
One that has been around the longest, and hasnt quite got a cabinet load of trophies....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 18 Nov 2005, 11:36 (Ref:1464005)   #14
Bedford
Racer

Bedford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So... being at the top of Australias Motor Racing stable is only good enough for a 3rd or 4th tier USA drive?

It just doesn't seem right to me.

If you went back 4 tiers from V8 Supercars, you'd be at Go-Karts.
Old 18 Nov 2005, 12:24 (Ref:1464041)   #15
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would one of the top NASCAR guys jump straight into a V8 supercar ride ??
Old 18 Nov 2005, 22:15 (Ref:1464543)   #16
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
Would one of the top NASCAR guys jump straight into a V8 supercar ride ??
I'm not sure they would accept the dramatic pay cut
Old 18 Nov 2005, 23:47 (Ref:1464588)   #17
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover
for those who have no idea what the craftsman trucks series is

try this link
http://www.nascar.com/series/truck/ it should explain everything.
That pic is certainly different to what I thought they would look like.
Just looks like an Aussie V8 ute really
He should romp it in, except it is probably a bit lighter in the bum to what he is used to.
Old 19 Nov 2005, 00:14 (Ref:1464606)   #18
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerri
That pic is certainly different to what I thought they would look like.
Just looks like an Aussie V8 ute really
He should romp it in, except it is probably a bit lighter in the bum to what he is used to.
"He should romp it in"

Um I wouldnt take the competition so lightly to be honest !
He will be good at rubbing doors for sure
Old 19 Nov 2005, 00:57 (Ref:1464641)   #19
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you been watching the truck series then Sandgroper?

Will be good to have another Aussie racing overseas. As an Aussie, i'll now be following the series to see how we do.
Old 19 Nov 2005, 01:32 (Ref:1464656)   #20
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
bit bigger than utes. but really its pick up truck racing rather than trucks like we have in australia. t
Old 19 Nov 2005, 01:40 (Ref:1464659)   #21
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No...they would flounder. Using Scott Pruett as a benchmark.
Old 19 Nov 2005, 04:11 (Ref:1464686)   #22
Robert Ryan
Veteran

More about Marcos in a interview from the Wood Bros site:
"TAD GESCHICKTER, continued, WILL MARCOS AMBROSE HAVE A SUPERSPEEDWAY LICENSE RIGHT AWAY? "Marcos signed his agreement two days ago. We're starting that process with NASCAR. We got a chance to test with Marcos at several different size tracks this summer, so while it may take us a while to get him to where he can drive that truck each and every week in NASCAR's eyes, we're tremendously impressed with his abilities to come up to speed, and we're really excited about him and Bobby East."
Old 19 Nov 2005, 06:09 (Ref:1464728)   #23
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford
So... being at the top of Australias Motor Racing stable is only good enough for a 3rd or 4th tier USA drive?

It just doesn't seem right to me.

If you went back 4 tiers from V8 Supercars, you'd be at Go-Karts.
And which country does that reflect poorly on? Ambrose knew he was going from being a big fish in a small pond to a small fish in a big pond. I doubt he was expecting to push Jimmy Johnson out of his seat just because he won a few touring car races.

IMHO he has done pretty well to get signed up for a season. There are 100's of drivers tring to get full time "paid" rides in a NASCAR sanctioned series.
Old 19 Nov 2005, 19:47 (Ref:1465097)   #24
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Lookleft...No other commentators have mentioned he is a "furriner", which is a good thing. To have a multi-car deal with a NON-Oval background and very importantly a NON-US background into a VERY US orientated series and beating 100 other locals for the opportunity is pretty amazing.
Old 19 Nov 2005, 22:57 (Ref:1465224)   #25
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebberForWDC
I'm not sure they would accept the dramatic pay cut
On top of that paying the high australian income taxes.

I don't think you'll ever find many americans racing in australia because the american scene, no matter what discipline it is, is more lucrative and more accessible. To want to race in australia, one has to overcome political hurdles(CAMS), government hurdles(visas and such) and a vast array of financial issues. I've been working on trying to race down under because I love the racing in Australia and NZ, but if I have half a brain in my head, I shouldn't even bother. Regardless, it's been interesting so far and will continue to be as I move forward.