Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 8 Dec 2005, 16:28 (Ref:1479820)   #1
2CV Racer
Racer

2CV Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mondello Park International Events 2006

As you may or may not be aware, there are two flavours of track used in Mondello, the National and the International. We have been struggling generally for numbers recently, and have found the International events particularly difficult. We would appreciate any help we can get for those.

There are two International events currently on the calendar for 2006:
BTCC April 22/23
F3/GT June 24/25

Traditionally the BTCC event appears on BARC's volunteering form and we've had visitors over who have made the difference in numbers. The F3/GT unfortunately doesn't get any exposure on volunteering forms in the UK and so we get few if any visitors.

I think anyone who has visited in the past will tell you they've enjoyed their visits to Mondello Park. Hopefully we'll be getting quite a few of those visitors back. Anyone who hasn't been over before and fancies trying out a new circuit - then why not Mondello?

Please keep these dates in mind when looking at your 2006 events.

For those of you interested in other events in Mondello (of a more clubbie nature, or indeed Rallycross) I'll post those dates early in the new year when the calendar takes on some semblance of stability.

PM me if interested or if you need any further info.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 19:07 (Ref:1479933)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As one who's visited the last two years, I can heartily recommend the trip over, where you'll find the locals very welcoming. No promises yet, Derek, but I'm hoping to come again as long as the dates don't clash with anything.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 20:30 (Ref:1479982)   #3
bigal
Rookie

England
Bedfordshire
bigal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said Woolley! I was made very welcome at what turned out to be a busy but enjoyable end of season clubbie in October and I know it wasn't just because they were very short handed (which made things a bit more challenging). Derek - I hope the cartwheeling FV driver was soon back on his feet and best wishes to you all. As Rory reminded us "however small the entry there's always enough for a roll and a fire" (sorry I got them both - I was only supposed to be flagging).
Old 8 Dec 2005, 20:33 (Ref:1479984)   #4
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ok... if one should take a plane to dublin, is there any way of getting from the airport to the circuit apart from hiring a car? and is camping available at the circuit itself?
Old 9 Dec 2005, 09:35 (Ref:1480294)   #5
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Hi Stig, from the airport to the circuit, you do need to drive. A taxi would be prohibitively expensive as it crosses the county line.

A lot depends on when you arrive. If you're arriving prior to the event, you can get the bus into Dublin centre and then get the train to Sallins. From there, it's about €8 in a taxi to the circuit. However, none of the trains run early enough to get you to the circuit for sign on, so this would only be applicable if you were camping or staying locally and arriving the night before. Car hire isn't outrageously expensive here given the sterling to euro ratio - if there's a few of you coming, it would be relatively cost effective. Also, local accommodation isn't that expensive. The Marshals club used to have discounts with some of the local B&Bs. I don't know if that's still the case. Presumably Derek can confirm.

Camping facilities are available at Mondello - however, whether they're open will depend on the event, so it's the kind of thing you need to check when volunteering so that Mondello are aware there's a requirement.
Old 9 Dec 2005, 10:04 (Ref:1480310)   #6
2CV Racer
Racer

2CV Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigal
Well said Woolley! I was made very welcome at what turned out to be a busy but enjoyable end of season clubbie in October and I know it wasn't just because they were very short handed (which made things a bit more challenging). Derek - I hope the cartwheeling FV driver was soon back on his feet and best wishes to you all. As Rory reminded us "however small the entry there's always enough for a roll and a fire" (sorry I got them both - I was only supposed to be flagging).
Hopefully you'll be thinking of a return visit next year. We'll organise some company for you this time! But if you could allow others have some incidents it would be appreciated!!
Old 9 Dec 2005, 18:45 (Ref:1480706)   #7
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin
Hi Stig, from the airport to the circuit, you do need to drive. A taxi would be prohibitively expensive as it crosses the county line.

A lot depends on when you arrive. If you're arriving prior to the event, you can get the bus into Dublin centre and then get the train to Sallins. From there, it's about €8 in a taxi to the circuit. However, none of the trains run early enough to get you to the circuit for sign on, so this would only be applicable if you were camping or staying locally and arriving the night before. Car hire isn't outrageously expensive here given the sterling to euro ratio - if there's a few of you coming, it would be relatively cost effective. Also, local accommodation isn't that expensive. The Marshals club used to have discounts with some of the local B&Bs. I don't know if that's still the case. Presumably Derek can confirm.

Camping facilities are available at Mondello - however, whether they're open will depend on the event, so it's the kind of thing you need to check when volunteering so that Mondello are aware there's a requirement.
Cost of car hire not relevant. Age of driver however is. I'm too young!

I'll certainly look into it though, always wanted to go to Ireland.
Old 10 Dec 2005, 18:42 (Ref:1481305)   #8
gts1
Rookie

England
stalybridge,GODS OWN TOWN
gts1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We're planning our 4th visit to Ireland for the touring cars.If you have'nt done it ? DO IT and you will do it again !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11 Dec 2005, 15:15 (Ref:1481687)   #9
Paul Millard
Rookie

Paul Millard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
count me in for the touring cars think it will be my fourth visit as well. GTS are you going to stay away from those irish nurses this time?
Old 11 Dec 2005, 16:56 (Ref:1481720)   #10
gts1
Rookie

England
I hope So ?

We need to muster more support in going to Mondello Before someone removes Ireland from the BTCC calender, you don't need a pot load of money to have a good weekend. Take the wife/husband and treat them to a night or two in Dublin
And you can tell your mates down the pub that you are an International marshal !!!!!
Best of all the Irish marshals will make you most welcome
Old 11 Dec 2005, 17:26 (Ref:1481740)   #11
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'v heard some people on this site criticise the track but as the the british marshall who was on post with me at the first corner for btcc found out it can get pretty exciting when it wants to
Old 11 Dec 2005, 17:31 (Ref:1481742)   #12
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
sadly, it looks like timing and cost are going to make it impossible for me to do either meeting :-(

for future reference though - is there any special procedure before marshalling in Ireland? Permissions etc.?
Old 11 Dec 2005, 17:52 (Ref:1481757)   #13
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.O.F.
i'v heard some people on this site criticise the track but as the the british marshall who was on post with me at the first corner for btcc found out it can get pretty exciting when it wants to
It's perhaps a little quirky in design, but it's plenty entertaining enough. No worries there.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 18:50 (Ref:1481784)   #14
gts1
Rookie

England

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.O.F.
If I remember right there were 17 or so red flags at the first corner on the saturday,the brit. marshal was Ken Watts my mate and I believe he slept like a baby that night, I was lucky enough to be flagging under the public bridge for the weekend (great post)
Old 11 Dec 2005, 23:14 (Ref:1481935)   #15
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
i was on the next flag post up from you in the mornings and it was 19 reds IIRC.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 14:15 (Ref:1482333)   #16
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Yeah that's only cos Ken was too lazy to shift anything.....

(ducking and running for cover now - he knows where I live! )
Old 12 Dec 2005, 18:21 (Ref:1482469)   #17
Mr.Orange
Rookie

Mr.Orange should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2CV Racer; I'll be there for BTCC, Good Circuit, Great Company (even EP!) Love it !!!

gts1; We have some serious Guinness killing to catch up on, Naas hosiptal is nice but very dry !!!

EP; I have to seem to be lazy, if this old mountain of flesh starts moving to fast there is no stopping it. LOL!!
Old 12 Dec 2005, 19:40 (Ref:1482532)   #18
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
its pretty hard to shift cars in the middle of a monsoon while your under fire from formula lemming
Old 15 Dec 2005, 11:35 (Ref:1484652)   #19
Paul Millard
Rookie

mr. orange
The gazelle is starting his preseason training soon so if you fancy getting in to shape give me a shout may be able to get you slim enough to get you in your overalls! Ash is joining us this year and I’m trying to convince Darcy to pop over for the BTCC but he’s still hoping around. Me Ash and Rich will be out in Birmingham the Saturday night of the Autosport show if you fancy joining us?

Paul
Old 19 Dec 2005, 21:42 (Ref:1486977)   #20
gts1
Rookie

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Millard
mr. orange
The gazelle is starting his preseason training soon

Paul
By training do you mean eating bickies and suppin those girly drinks
Old 20 Dec 2005, 10:45 (Ref:1487264)   #21
Paul Millard
Rookie

managed 9 the other day before falling over! our flights are now booked for the BTCC meeting.

Paul
Old 20 Dec 2005, 21:26 (Ref:1487639)   #22
gts1
Rookie

England
who's goin you & ?
Jill and I are lookin at sailin with the car SO if we're there afor ye we could collect thou from,t t'airport unless thys gettin a motor ?? cause thats wot we're supposed to doin for Pat'n'Ken
we will sort it when we meet up
Old 21 Dec 2005, 12:01 (Ref:1487993)   #23
Paul Millard
Rookie

Me Ash and Rich. we were thinking of hiring a car. quick question anyone know how long it takes to dirve from mondello to belfast airport?
Old 21 Dec 2005, 12:15 (Ref:1488001)   #24
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
depends on the time you do it - traffic in Dublin can be bad. But assuming you're driving on a weekend evening, you're looking at around 2 hours give or take. Once you get from Mondello to the airport road, it's motorway nearly all the way up.
Old 21 Dec 2005, 13:45 (Ref:1488067)   #25
Paul Millard
Rookie

cheers EP. promise to keep Ken in check this time!