Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Mar 2006, 02:37 (Ref:1545683)   #1
Scott75
Veteran

Scott75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ITV Button TV

I'm sick and tired of hearing James Allan and Martin Brundle continue to talk up Jenson Button. All we heard last night was Jenson this Jenson that. Oh that the best overtaking move I've ever scene garbage. The guy stuffed his start and finished 4th.

He clearly has a great car and didn't bring it home where he should of. A podium was definately there and he missed it.
But if you go by James and Martins comments he was very unlucky during his race.

If Jenson is so good then when is he going to win, hopefully soon but it's about time he did start winning. This is not a Jenson bash its a James and Martin bash. Also how many times did he call Webber's name in the Sauber BMW.

In Australia we should have Cromly do the commentary as he very rarely makes mistakes and is not anywhere near as biast like James and Martin are. There you go I've got it out of my system, I'm sure people will knock me but hey this is what free speech is about. I'm interested to hear what other people thoguht. But otherwise it was a great race.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 02:50 (Ref:1545685)   #2
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Nooooo...

Neil is good in small doses, but a whole GP he just gets repetitious.
They will talk up the pom (including DC sometimes) who is closest to the front, as would Crompton for an Aussie.

DKGandBH
Old 13 Mar 2006, 02:53 (Ref:1545686)   #3
Scott75
Veteran

Well Neil with someone else of course, maybe Allan Jones perhaps.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 03:00 (Ref:1545689)   #4
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
OK you've lost all credibility suggesting Alan Jones ......

I understand that we are watching the English broadcaster, and I understand that they are obliged to have a bit of a bias towards Button - it is only natural. But James and Martin were ridiculous in Bahrain - I was yelling at the TV for a fair portion of the race.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 03:09 (Ref:1545691)   #5
Scott75
Veteran

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one. Yeah I come up short with Allan Jones, what about Darrel Eastlake lol lol
Old 13 Mar 2006, 05:33 (Ref:1545723)   #6
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
How about Larry Perkins...

He has been there/done that as well, and it would inject some spice...

DKGandBH
< flame suit now on >
Old 13 Mar 2006, 06:31 (Ref:1545736)   #7
Halsey
Racer

Brazil
Tasmania
Halsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You have to take the good with the bad. Everyone has their flaws, and despite Brundle's (as a commentator, anyway ), I like him... Although I also must confess to not overly disliking James Allen a fair bit of the time. His comic relief can be amusing, in the same way that listening to Mark Blundell trying to construct a coherent sentence is good for a laugh. James' 'Happy new year!' exclamation during qualifying was nothing short of hilarious, but perhaps I have a warped sense of humour.

Personal bias is just par for the course as far as commentators go. They're bound to be patriotic, although the level of patriotism shown in regards to Button & ITV and Webber & Crompton/Woods/Diffey is certainly a source of irritation to a number of people. And it's only natural that Brundle would talk up Coulthard when given the opportunity, as he's his manager. It's just the way things work.

And I'm very glad that Channel Ten broadcast ITV's commentary in Aus.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 07:03 (Ref:1545745)   #8
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
Nado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
OK you've lost all credibility suggesting Alan Jones ......

I understand that we are watching the English broadcaster, and I understand that they are obliged to have a bit of a bias towards Button - it is only natural. But James and Martin were ridiculous in Bahrain - I was yelling at the TV for a fair portion of the race.
I have to admit I've always been defending ITV, simply because they're a UK broadcast and you have to expect them to be bias towards Button, hell I'm very biased towards Webber. But last night.. damn it was THAT bad.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 07:11 (Ref:1545750)   #9
Schrodes
Rookie

Australia
Sydney ish
Schrodes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well Neil with someone else of course, maybe Allan Jones perhaps.
Jones' Ferrari bashing is about as sickening as James' and Martins Button worshiping.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 09:06 (Ref:1545823)   #10
MikeBz
Racer

MikeBz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the the pot, kettle and black thread? Complaining about ITV's selectivity in heaping praise on Button, but selectively not knocking them for heaping praise on Rosberg.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 09:34 (Ref:1546921)   #11
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rosberg DESERVED praise, it was his first race and he set the fastest lap!
Old 13 Mar 2006, 09:55 (Ref:1546946)   #12
Russ-Turner
Racer

England
Motorsport Valley.
Russ-Turner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You Ozzies obviously need to relax. ..or is this a veiled whinge because glory boy Webber is going to get trounced by a smarter, faster team mate this year?
Old 13 Mar 2006, 10:12 (Ref:1546962)   #13
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"The best overtaking move I've seen." What a pile of shyte, it's nearly as bad as those two Pom nits that call the superbikes, cringeworthy really.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 10:37 (Ref:1546986)   #14
rameire
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin, Rep of Ireland
rameire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree they keep on talking about button like he has won thousands of races, every few minutes they just have to get buttons name in by saying how great he will be.
I believe they talk too much about button, in all the time they spoke about button, they could have easily gone through each new drivers background from when they were born.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 11:05 (Ref:1547010)   #15
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Kareedouw, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Hein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They are both Brits aren't they?
Old 13 Mar 2006, 12:30 (Ref:1547075)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Xenophobia has no place on this forum. And, whenever Webber makes a poor start and spends the entire race recovering from it, certain posters will not accept a word of criticism for the start. Jenson made a costly mistake at the start (assuming it wasn't a technical glitch) and recovered from it well, with a couple of well-executed overtaking moves on the guy perceived to be the smartest in those situations. It's not as if he got Driver of the Day.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 12:36 (Ref:1547080)   #17
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ok I obviously missed all the Button praising! I agree that they talked about Button but they also talked about most of the other drivers at some point or another. Button's "mistake" as someone said was due to a clutch problem and therefore he had a bad start, but he managed to recover. The praises the bestowed upon Rosberg and Kimi were well deserved and therefore not all about Button.

So quit the whining and enjoy the racing and lets all be friends no matter who's supporting who.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 12:39 (Ref:1547082)   #18
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say, in Buttons defence, that bad start was definatly a glitch. He had problems getting away for the warm up as well, which the commentators didn't notice.

I thought they were poor actually yesterday, they missed a few things. I like Button and even I was getting fed up with the hyper praise.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 13:08 (Ref:1547109)   #19
Swiss
Racer

United Kingdom
Hampshire
Swiss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can understand the viewpoint to a degree but you have to expect a national tv channel with commentators from the same country to be giving a fair bit of coverage to the home nations entrants and to be positive about it !

However I would like to say that normally I like listening to Brundle but yesterday I felt he was showing an awful lot of bias to Schumacher. One such incident was when Fisichella was caught swearing over the radio link. So what if Schumacher wouldnt have done it, it doesn't mean that he is better just that he has a different temprament and way of handling things. Fisichella is Italian and like most mediterranean people they have flashpoints of emotion that they let off steam with and then get on with it. I think Schumachers achievements have been incredible but I do not think Brundle needs to portray him as perfect compared to all others ... anyway I didnt mean to change the thread and I am sure I'll be jumped on now by Schumi fans .....
Old 13 Mar 2006, 13:25 (Ref:1547127)   #20
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No, you'll get jumped on by a non-Schumi fan like myself.... When Ferrari was hopeless for reliability, Michael was very supportive of the team, and worked hard to gel the squad and motivate them. For Fisichella this is even more important, because he must avoid making his mechanics and crew start doubting themselves compared to Alonso's staff.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 13:28 (Ref:1547130)   #21
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont blame the Martin and James, I think it is ITV policy as everyone on the show (and I mean everyone at almost every race since ITV took over, jardine, the count, mark, louise, guests , the janitor) talk about the British Driver of the moment. I"m not complaining because I had irish comentary do the same with Ervine and jordan drivers for a few years and it was just as bad.
Moral of the story, if country of origin of the driver/team and the broadcasters country are the same then thats what gets the most coverage. (if X=Y then Buttonmania)
Old 13 Mar 2006, 13:33 (Ref:1547133)   #22
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven
I dont blame the Martin and James, I think it is ITV policy as everyone on the show (and I mean everyone at almost every race since ITV took over, jardine, the count, mark, louise, guests , the janitor) talk about the British Driver of the moment. I"m not complaining because I had irish comentary do the same with Ervine and jordan drivers for a few years and it was just as bad.
Moral of the story, if country of origin of the driver/team and the broadcasters country are the same then thats what gets the most coverage. (if X=Y then Buttonmania)
I agree with what you say, but in my mind it just erodes ITV's credibility even more. By constantly talking up a driver who isn't performing at the level of adulation being apportioned, it just adds pressure to the driver and reduces the standing and credibility of the commentators/broadcaster doing the "bigging up"
Old 13 Mar 2006, 13:38 (Ref:1547136)   #23
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
well i'm listening the ITV coverage right now . and i can't say it wasn't all that much about Jenson .. except at the beggining .. but then he was fighting with Barichello and passing JPM .. why not talk about him ??

Ciao Marco
Old 13 Mar 2006, 13:41 (Ref:1547139)   #24
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe rossi
it just erodes ITV's credibility even more. By constantly talking up a driver who isn't performing at the level of adulation being apportioned, it just adds pressure to the driver and reduces the standing and credibility of the commentators/broadcaster doing the "bigging up"
A fair point also, maybe they should realize that it is counter productive.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 13:43 (Ref:1547140)   #25
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Doesn't it happen for all the TVs ? Each commentator pushing for his country driver ? I usually get sick of this, hearing they getting excited when there's nothing at all really. So it's not a privilege of the british commentators !