Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Mar 2006, 08:55 (Ref:1552571)   #1
pforrester
Racer

England
Leek, Staffs
pforrester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Midland

Maybe it was a little naive of me, but I really didn't think Midland would be THIS bad. Their cars spent most of the race behind(!!) Sato's Super Aguri, and Monteiro was only about 16s ahead of Sato at the end. When SA get a 'proper' car to race, I can only see Midland getting cut further adrift.

Big praise for Sato today though. Superb drive. Maybe the things expected of him in the BAR made him over drive. Now nothing is expected of him because of his car, perhaps he is starting to show us exactly how well he can drive (and on a consistent basis).
Old 19 Mar 2006, 10:16 (Ref:1552606)   #2
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just what is the point of this team's existance? The only good thing about this team is the livery, and Johnny Herbert.

What do Midland (what is Midland?) hope to achieve from entering F1, I don't expect they'll be around in thier current guise for too long. Are they an investment company? If so; maybe this could be an investment, before looking to sell on at a later date? Just a thought. Maybe Midland is more of a financial plan, that anything else.

They're probably a Fisheries now or something, now I've said that haha.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 14:37 (Ref:1552751)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They're a strange team, as Alex Schnaider doesn't seem to exude enthusiasm or passion for the sport the way Dieter M does, and he has no history in racing the way Aguri and Gerhard do. The drivers are adequate journeymen whose only real value to the series is to add 2 more nations to the grid, and there's no real potential for them to advance up the grid - it wouldn't be a surprise for them to be marooned at the back once the Aguri car is in.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 14:49 (Ref:1552758)   #4
ParkLife
Racer

ParkLife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's always the possibility of EJ buying the team back in 2008/9 assuming the new low cost formula comes into practice.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 15:18 (Ref:1552773)   #5
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't SA finish a lap down on MFI?
I'm sure Midland were lapped twice and Aruri 3 times

Quote:
Malaysian Grand Prix result - 56 laps

1. FISICHELLA Renault 1h30m40.529s

2. ALONSO Renault +4.6s

3. BUTTON Honda +9.6s

4. MONTOYA McLaren +36.4s

5. MASSA Ferrari +43.3s

6. M.SCHUMACHER Ferrari +43.9s

7. VILLENEUVE BMW +1m20.5s

8. R.SCHUMACHER Toyota +1m21.3s

9. TRULLI Toyota +1 lap

10. BARRICHELLO Honda +1 lap

11. LIUZZI Toro Rosso +2 laps

12. ALBERS Midland +2 laps

13. MONTEIRO Midland +2 laps

14. SATO Super Aguri +3 laps

R. HEIDFELD BMW +8 laps

R. SPEED Toro Rosso +15 laps

R. IDE Super Aguri +23 laps

R. KLIEN Red Bull +30 laps

R. WEBBER Williams +41 laps

R. COULTHARD Red Bull +46 laps

R. ROSBERG Williams +50 laps
R. RAIKKONEN McLaren +56 laps
Old 19 Mar 2006, 15:19 (Ref:1552774)   #6
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
It would be great to see EJ back in F1, I was Jordans biggest fan!
Old 19 Mar 2006, 15:39 (Ref:1552788)   #7
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombeMarshal
Didn't SA finish a lap down on MFI?
I'm sure Midland were lapped twice and Aruri 3 times
Yeah your right, but Fisi, Alonso and Button only just pipped the Aguri on the last lap I believe.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 15:42 (Ref:1552791)   #8
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-1
Yeah your right, but Fisi, Alonso and Button only just pipped the Aguri on the last lap I believe.
Ah right, Maybe they just wanted someone to play with!
Old 19 Mar 2006, 18:06 (Ref:1552869)   #9
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-1
What is Midland?
This may answer the question: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midland_Group

Personally, I think that Midland are achieving about as much as can be expected given the fact that their drivers are never going to become world beaters, they lack any major sponsors and the fact that their facilities are unlikely to be on a par with some of the larger outfits. Also, I get the impression that Alex Schnaider is very much a businessman first and as such is reticent to spend huge amounts of cash chasing dreams. An important point to note is that the midfield of Formula 1 is becoming increasingly competitive and with outfits with the facilities and financial clout as Toyota and Red Bull struggling to achieve significant results then it is unlikely that Midland would be able to perform better.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 18:13 (Ref:1552871)   #10
Matski
Racer

Matski has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I would have thought that the STR's should have been behind the MF1's - but with their 'cheatin'' V10's they're doing okay.
So, after waiting 20 minutes for him to come out of the back of the garage, Matski asks "Are you going to get Jacques' seat then?" Robert replies "ha ha, I don't know!", signs Matksi's cap, and retreats to his motorhome.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 19:09 (Ref:1552898)   #11
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't help but wonder if Midland would have been better served simply getting onboard as a title sponsor. Midland-Jordan F1, or something similar.

Sometimes I get the impression they bought Jordan just because they could, and not out of any real passion (yes, I know it's just business).
Old 19 Mar 2006, 19:19 (Ref:1552911)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well did anyone expect Midland to do anything even remotely notable this year.

A team owned by a disinterested man, run by a mental dentist and funded by Cristijan Albers simply cannot expect to challenge the midfield, let alone move up to it.

At least Johnny Herbert seems to be enjoying his role. Hopefully he will move up to a Formula 1 team someday.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 19:51 (Ref:1552955)   #13
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not so sure about EJ buying it back, what about EI, he has got russian money so it all ties in nicely, or am i just being simplistic here.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 21:10 (Ref:1553042)   #14
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst the idea of Eddie Irvine buying MF1 appeals, it needs to be considered that negotiations did take place last summer between the two parties, but it would appear that the asking price was higher than what Irvine's Russian backers were prepared to pay.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 21:18 (Ref:1553053)   #15
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
A team owned by a disinterested man, run by a mental dentist and funded by Cristijan Albers simply cannot expect to challenge the midfield, let alone move up to it.
My emphasis.

That cracked me up!

I think Midland could've ended up a lot worse than they are.