Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Mar 2006, 15:04 (Ref:1561374)   #1
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Gilles Villeneuve interview

I found this on JV's website, from the CBC archives, and thought I would share it. A short but interesting interview with the late GV. Interesting to hear his take on the toll on the body that 2 tenths a second faster means. As well, that even back then, the politics and self-centered attitudes were well entrenched in F1.
http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-74-339-...e/gilles_ville neuve/clip3
Old 26 Mar 2006, 15:33 (Ref:1561381)   #2
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dead link
Old 26 Mar 2006, 15:41 (Ref:1561387)   #3
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just some coding error there. this one works though http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-41-339/...es_villeneuve/
Old 26 Mar 2006, 15:41 (Ref:1561388)   #4
Kirk
Veteran

Thanks. The clip I was referring to was the third one in that link.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 15:51 (Ref:1561392)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Villeneuve and Prioni took part in some heart beat monitors and other fitness tests over GP weekends. Some of the details are outlined in the Sid Watkins Life on the Limit book.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 16:35 (Ref:1561411)   #6
Stone Man
Rookie

Stone Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was a big fan of Gilles and saw him win at Watkins glen and Monaco but this (I think) was the first time i've ever heard his voice.

Younger fans would find it difficult to understand our lack of access to the sport in those days. Not only was there no internet, fewer mags and books (Mostly in black and white) but even the TV coverage (by the BBC) never interviewed the Drivers.

Thanks for the link Kirk
Old 26 Mar 2006, 16:43 (Ref:1561416)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Awesome link kirk (and dazbaz for clearing it up!)!

I thought I had heard Gilles before.....but listening to your links puts the lie to that. He had a very heavy accent!

Cheers again kirk.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 16:44 (Ref:1561419)   #8
Kirk
Veteran

You're welcome Stone Man.

Yes, we sure take a lot for granted these days don't we. It wasn't long ago that F1 (at least here in Canada) was a mysterious form of racing that took place mostly in Europe. CBC would show some of the races very late Sunday nights but only after the late news. Media coverage was none existent unless F1 was racing in North America (a rarity in itself).
Old 26 Mar 2006, 16:54 (Ref:1561423)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Harsh comment in the Jacques video:

"Jacques Villeneuve looks like the owner of a health food store."

Snigger....snigger....
Old 26 Mar 2006, 17:27 (Ref:1561433)   #10
Stone Man
Rookie

One of my best memories of Gilles was the 1980 Monaco race where he was out of the running in his Ferrari (Due to their lack of Ground Effect)

I was sitting in the grandstand at the chicane (after the tunnel) and the track was slippery after the rain.

Every lap through, he would powerslide out of chicane for most of way up the straight to the next corner at Tabac....just for the sheer hell of it! I don't think there was TV of this because he was lying 10th or 11th at the time.

A real Speed Freak and we loved him for it.

Can you imagine that in todays corporate pasturised F1 scene.

I'd have loved to see the telemetry readings and the reaction of his team on the pitwall!!!!
Old 26 Mar 2006, 18:15 (Ref:1561455)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There wasn't any telemetry then! All down to driver feel, which Gilles had in buckets.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 18:39 (Ref:1561479)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wonderful stuff ! One of my fave drivers simply the way he was, to the best. Unfortunately the interviewer was anything but a stranger to racing, but the part about Jacques the 8-year-old kid was some sort of prophetic !
Old 26 Mar 2006, 19:30 (Ref:1561515)   #13
Stone Man
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
There wasn't any telemetry then! All down to driver feel, which Gilles had in buckets.
That was my point. At that time we could all see his magic and didn't need anything else but imagine the reaction in the Ferrari team if they knew what he we up to in "Real time"....we could have all seen some latin emotion to light up the atmosphere in the pits
Old 26 Mar 2006, 20:13 (Ref:1561556)   #14
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Harsh comment in the Jacques video:

"Jacques Villeneuve looks like the owner of a health food store."

Snigger....snigger....

Not at all meant that way..Thank you Kirk fantastic link!
Old 26 Mar 2006, 20:19 (Ref:1561565)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
Not at all meant that way..
Don't worry, I know.

It just amused me somewhat.....as did Jacques' hair, I had forgotten he had long hair!
Old 26 Mar 2006, 20:28 (Ref:1561570)   #16
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I did not mean to jump on that sorry Knowlesy ... Jacques was a nice kid don't you think..It makes me feel bad when he is attacked for poor performance these days. Anyway I enjoyed the interview with his father very down to earth man..
Old 26 Mar 2006, 20:49 (Ref:1561586)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Yep, nice kid. Level headed and intent on doing it his way.
Old 26 Mar 2006, 22:33 (Ref:1561676)   #18
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gilles really oozed class in that interview.

Also he really hit the nail on the head about the whole issue of women in f1. "If they finish first then their good, but if they finish 22nd and people say Ahhh well done because she is a women the i say that's sh*t"
Old 27 Mar 2006, 09:40 (Ref:1562118)   #19
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
AWESOME - never seen those before. THANKS!

I found the most fascinating part that GV was well aware of limits and scrubbing off speed (i.e. sideways) and obviosly all the techniques of race driving ... but he STILL got "white line fever" when he hit the track. The 2/10 bit was great.

A charming and fascinating fellow - what an awful shame he didnt get to see that little 8 year old achieve marvellous things as he had hoped...
Old 27 Mar 2006, 15:45 (Ref:1562418)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Or, indeed, achieve even greater things himself.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 16:18 (Ref:1562454)   #21
Kirk
Veteran

Yes, he certainly seemed to be destined for many more victories. Such a shame to lose him, in his prime really, and in such seemingly innocent circumstances. It was a practice session as I recall, that fatal horrific accident will forever be etched in my mind.