Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 2 Jul 2006, 19:58 (Ref:1646710)   #1
LampCord
Racer

LampCord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jeff Gordon interview on Speed TV

Just wondering if anyone else listened to Gordon in the Speed TV studio broadcast.

It seems at least 3 teams have approached him and told him how much they would love to have an American driver in F1.

He's even been approached about coming down for a full day of practice just to see what he can do.

To his credit he was very humble about his chances in F1. He pointed out the huge difference in conditioning required to drive these cars and how he had trouble finding the limits of the Williams car a few years back because he couldn't handle the stress the car was putting on his body.

He also said that he's probably waited too long in his career to make a serious run at F1 and that it wouldn't really make any sense unless he could get with a top team which is unlikely.

Still, one has to wonder if there isn't some other top American NASCAR or CART driver out there (perhaps a bit younger) who could make a real run at this sport.
Old 2 Jul 2006, 20:00 (Ref:1646715)   #2
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I think a lot of eyes are looking to Marco Andretti for that.
Old 2 Jul 2006, 20:40 (Ref:1646768)   #3
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For F1 to really tap into America it needs a high profile American driver like Jeff Gordon to jump ship from NASCAR and try their hand. Beyond that I think the American public at large are going to stay indifferent to the sport.

Drivers who have come up the ranks like Scott Speed will eventually become stars but F1 could really do with the booster shot someone like Gordon would bring.

I'm surprised Jeff doesn't give it a go though, one or two seasons in F1 wouldn't kill his career as he could always go back to NASCAR and a lucrative contract if things didn't work out.
Old 2 Jul 2006, 21:00 (Ref:1646784)   #4
Not Rated
Rookie

United States
Chicago, IL
Not Rated should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a true NASCAR fan, I must admit that Jeff has become a disgrace for our beloved series. How can he go on the air and claim that he is not fit enough to race an open wheel car? Everyone knows open wheel racing is a joke, NASCAR drivers are the BEST in the world, and the Nextel Cup is the toughest racing series on Earth. That's why we've got all the sponsors and TV exposure. And that's why these F1 teams want to sign Jeff so badly. They know that even a mediocre NASCAR driver will whip them overrated European a$$e$, not to mentioned someone of quality like Gordon. But he knows better than to leave the most popular form of motorsport in the world for a second rate Euro series.

And saying that others in NASCAR were jealous of him after he drove the Williams, what a joke!
Old 2 Jul 2006, 21:09 (Ref:1646789)   #5
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not Rated, get a grip mate.
Old 2 Jul 2006, 21:12 (Ref:1646792)   #6
LampCord
Racer

LampCord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk
Not Rated, get a grip mate.
He must be trolling!
Old 2 Jul 2006, 21:14 (Ref:1646794)   #7
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Rated
As a true NASCAR fan, I must admit that Jeff has become a disgrace for our beloved series. How can he go on the air and claim that he is not fit enough to race an open wheel car?
I suspect that the physical demands on a NASCAR driver and a F1 driver may be different

Quote:
Everyone knows open wheel racing is a joke, NASCAR drivers are the BEST in the world, and the Nextel Cup is the toughest racing series on Earth.
I guess this depends on what you define as the 'best'. Personally I don't find open wheel racing to be a joke, but maybe I'm misguided.

Quote:
That's why we've got all the sponsors and TV exposure.
So the split in American single seater racing did nothing to help this?

Quote:
And that's why these F1 teams want to sign Jeff so badly. They know that even a mediocre NASCAR driver will whip them overrated European a$$e$, not to mentioned someone of quality like Gordon. But he knows better than to leave the most popular form of motorsport in the world for a second rate Euro series.
If they knew a second rate NASCAR driver would dominate in F1, why was Jeff Gordon given a couple of offers, then? There would be much cheaper options if nothing else.
Old 2 Jul 2006, 21:38 (Ref:1646820)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Come on guys, this post is not worth debating.
Old 2 Jul 2006, 21:41 (Ref:1646825)   #9
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well put, Kipper.

If NASCAR is the pinnicle of motorsport then maybe I should stop watching motorsport.
Old 2 Jul 2006, 21:46 (Ref:1646830)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's why we have a Nascar forum and a F1 forum, for their respective fans.

THREAD CLOSED