Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Nov 2006, 20:24 (Ref:1767148)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So, who thinks Kovalainen can be 2007 world champion?

Renault may well still be the number 1 team next year.

He has plenty of experience of the car.

Remember how well Jacques Villeneuve (with significantly less F1 miles under his belt) did in 1996. Got rather close to the title.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 20:29 (Ref:1767149)   #2
Taprobane
Racer

England
Berkshire
Taprobane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not beyond the realms of possibility, but I think renault will have to have a very dominant car for him to win it. I cartainly expect him to make a decent challenge for it though.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 20:33 (Ref:1767152)   #3
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He'll start off well, maybe win the odd race, but not the title.

This year.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 21:09 (Ref:1767179)   #4
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suspect that a couple of race wins and a good number of podiums and whilst he probably will feature in the top championships positions at the end of the year, I don't think he'll challenge for the title.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 21:28 (Ref:1767192)   #5
Red Bulldog
Racer

Canada
Beaver Bank, NS
Red Bulldog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he really can do it
Old 15 Nov 2006, 21:54 (Ref:1767201)   #6
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Renault are crazy to be going with a Fisi-Kovalainen lineup next season.
Fisi has proven to be wayyy off championship winning pace when up against Alonso, and Kovalainen is a big question mark. Seems strange that the winners of the WDC and WCC couldn't find a better, more experienced driver to defend the titles, I was shocked when Webber or Kimi didn't end up there.

I think a Fisi-Villeneuve lineup would have been a safer bet as Fisi does have the experience and knowledge of the team and IF Jacques sucked (remember he hasn't been in a race winning car since 1997!) Kovalainen could have his shot in 2008 after a bit more testing experience.
True JV did run three races for Renault in late 2004 but never really had enough time to get to grips with the car/team, a full season would be a different story, his form with BMW was good enough to warrant another shot.

Yeah...clearly I'm still bitter...perhaps I should switch over to the NASCAR forum eh?
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 22:20 (Ref:1767220)   #7
Athgoe Racing
Racer

Athgoe Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great to see a new face next year that will be very quick. I think it will be Fisi last year.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 03:00 (Ref:1767314)   #8
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not sure Renault will be up to task. The title challenge may just be a little closer than its been in awhile. IMO Kimmi is favorite.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 03:21 (Ref:1767320)   #9
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think so. Renault won both the 2005 and 2006 titles by getting off to a great start and being able to manage a lead from there. Unless Fisi's been suffering considerably mental torment being up against Alonso, Kovalainen WILL make mistakes at times throughout the year.

If he's already won a race by the time theyre racing in Europe, he could do it. That only gives him 3 chances however.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 04:56 (Ref:1767335)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyG

I think a Fisi-Villeneuve lineup would have been a safer bet as Fisi does have the experience and knowledge of the team and IF Jacques sucked (remember he hasn't been in a race winning car since 1997!)
Funny that you should put forward Villeneuve Teddy Don't forget though, Renault have previous experience of JV, maybe thats why they went for Heikki?

I don't think that Heikki will win the WDC in 2007, but i do believe he is the man that Renault are now backing, with an expected push for the WDC in 2008. I fully expect Heikki to be ahead of Fisi at the end of the '07 season.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 09:13 (Ref:1767474)   #11
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
Nado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No. Because I don't think the Renault will be that fast next year.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 10:11 (Ref:1767535)   #12
outflat
Racer

outflat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Renault never was that fast - it was Alonso.

He took a good, but not great car and made it look fantastic.

Fisichella shows where the car was without a superstar at the wheel.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 10:16 (Ref:1767542)   #13
chrisp2006
Racer

chrisp2006 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why not? we do not know what is going on inside the team. If we remember last time this happened Alesi and Berger were driving and Im sure Flavio will know how to do it right this time round with fresh talent.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 12:06 (Ref:1767653)   #14
GeeRam
Racer

England
London, UK.
GeeRam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ingredients for next year could make for a very closely fought title between a number of drivers, with all the chopping and changing.

I don't Kimi is such a favourite, with being in a new car/team, well not for the first half of the season.

Alonso is also in a new/car team and can Ron even provide him with a decent car anyway?

HK could provide an upset or 2 with the Renault, but will he be consistent enough, but can't see Fisi rising to the task though.

Equally Webber/Coultard in a Newey Red Bull could provide a surprise or two but will they be consistent?

So, that leaves Button and Honda.......hmmmm, well, we'll see.

So, that just leaves Massa......and I might just have a little flutter in that direction
Old 16 Nov 2006, 13:28 (Ref:1767722)   #15
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
he never won anything in his life (FRenault, F3, Gp2.. nothing, he did win the SWS in his second season, because 1.) Motagny wasnt there anymore, 2.) He was driving for what was by far THE most domminating team of the series) , and now he'll go on winning Formula One, in his rookie season, gimme a bloody break
Old 16 Nov 2006, 13:30 (Ref:1767725)   #16
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
if wins ONE race and beats Fisi (points- and/or qual-wise) than I'll be very very much surprised
Old 16 Nov 2006, 13:51 (Ref:1767747)   #17
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It would be a good thing for the sport alright and propel Heikki straight into superstardom, but its an enormously big ask. Also, its not a foregone conclusion that Renault's dominance will continue into 2007...

o The internal team structure has changed with Pat Symonds' role de-emphasized. Much of the 2006 success was down to how the team worked together and we need to see how this will pan out in 2007.

o The suspension of engine development comes into force next year and I'm not sure Renault have the best motor on the grid.

o Don't underestimate the influence of tyres. All of Renault's recent success has come on Michelin rubber. The move to Bridgestone next year will introduce a learning/development curve that the current Bridgestone runners, notably Ferrari, may not have.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 15:14 (Ref:1767822)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonso11
he never won anything in his life (FRenault, F3, Gp2.. nothing, he did win the SWS in his second season, because 1.) Motagny wasnt there anymore, 2.) He was driving for what was by far THE most domminating team of the series) , and now he'll go on winning Formula One, in his rookie season, gimme a bloody break
It doesn't really matter what he has or hasn't won, Renault have backed him in their development program and they believe in him, ergo, put him in on of their cars in F1.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 15:46 (Ref:1767843)   #19
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by outflat
Renault never was that fast - it was Alonso.

He took a good, but not great car and made it look fantastic.

Fisichella shows where the car was without a superstar at the wheel.
Oh definately, 110% agreed with this.

Kovy is an unknown quantity in F1, and really I feel it's hard to speculate. JUDGING on what he has done so far, well why not. He looks a hot prospect, and we all know Flavio wouldn't go for a complete dud behind the wheel in such circumstances.

Schumacher, Alonso and now Kovy?

What I will say, is that i'm pretty confident Kovalainen won't win the title outright next season. That battle will be a Raikkonen led thing from my P.O.V - but Kovalainen has the potential to build up an impressive foundation.

Kovy is a long term investment.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 16:42 (Ref:1767892)   #20
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The interesting comparison will be with Hamilton if he gets the McLaren drive. Heikki has a less impressive CV, but more experience of F1 cars, an inferior team-mate relative to Alonso, and probably a better car than the McLaren. Heikki should be the top rookie, but I honestly think Fisichella can outperform him in 2007, given a good start and the right encouragement. Once the 2007 title hope is gone, Kovalainen should get the focus of the team unless he is really struggling, and a good run-in might put him above Giancarlo in the championship, but I think a dominant Renault would mean a Fisichella title.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 16:46 (Ref:1767897)   #21
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He'll get a couple of podiums, no wins and certainly no 2007 World Championship. That's just sheer fantasy. The reason JV went so close is that the 1996 Williams-Renault was a dominant car. I doubt the 2007 Renault will be that dominant.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 10:15 (Ref:1768405)   #22
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yes JV had a clear cut car advantage over everyone but Hill in '96.

Another worthwhile comparison to think about with Heikki's situation could be with JPM.

Although his reputation precedded him as something of a big noise in the sport, Montoya came in with a reasonably competitive car in 2001 (was good for wins when it lasted). After that ace move On Schu and the near win in his 3rd race, he instantly became thought of as a contender at the front of the field.

Unless Renault go drastically backwards over the winter, Heikki will surely have better car than that JPM had and will have had a lot more mileage under his belt after all the testing he's done so I would expect him to compete for the wins and therefore the title.

The only possible drawback is lack of circuit knowledge in some cases, but top line drivers rarely find that a major hindrance.

So the sum of all this is that we can never know what will happen but I suspect he will be Renault's main hope for glory if they still have equipment to run at the front.

Last edited by chunterer; 17 Nov 2006 at 10:18.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 11:02 (Ref:1768427)   #23
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can he do it in his first year? Doubt it.

Question is, will his talent match the hype???

If Renault have a strong package next year then he should a front runner.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 11:18 (Ref:1768441)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would carefully wait for the next races, at least 8, and then I would evaluate the kid...
Old 17 Nov 2006, 13:51 (Ref:1768603)   #25
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, I'm not enormously convinced that "Renault" were that dominant this year and it was more to do with outstanding performances by Alonso. Therefore, no I don't think Heikki will be a contender but what he might achieve is sending Fisichella to the DTM retirement home.