Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 25 Nov 2006, 02:08 (Ref:1774472)   #1
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Giorgio Piola

Does anyone know if Giorgio Piola draws his cars with a computer or "simply" with a pencil ??
check out his web site

www.studiopiola.it
Old 25 Nov 2006, 09:23 (Ref:1774622)   #2
badgerbaiter
Racer

badgerbaiter has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
only one way to find out
info@studiopiola.it
Old 25 Nov 2006, 18:12 (Ref:1774815)   #3
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think he starts off by sketching them, possibly from photos. They are then put onto the computer and rendered in what looks like Photoshop.

He, like myself, come from the pre Apple Mac era, so can work with a pen and pencil when we have to. His ability to sketch is superb with obviously a good eye for detail.

About 25 years ago I had to go into the VW car factory to sketch development parts on new cars as it was the only reference they had. It isn't easy to produce drawings to Piolas standard and I certainly didn't do it as well as he does!
Old 27 Nov 2006, 11:28 (Ref:1775811)   #4
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Giorgio is a great talent - a very good illustrator, however his greatest achievement is getting the access, getting behind the scenes to draw the latest
parts, aerokits and so on despite the paranoia in the F1 pitlane! He knows everybody in the F1 paddock therefore can get where others cannot and attends every race as he has for years. I doubt if anyone other than the FIA scrutineers or Bernie manage to get where Giorgio does! He once told me he used to take poloroids and trace them back in his hotel room with rotring pens on draughting film - very much how we used to do things over at VW Alan!
These days he still uses the rotring pens I believe, then scans the drawings adding the colour in layers with photoshop as Alan says.
Old 27 Nov 2006, 11:46 (Ref:1775827)   #5
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
These days he still uses the rotring pens I believe, then scans the drawings adding the colour in layers with photoshop.
A good mixture of old and new technology combined.
Old 27 Nov 2006, 14:33 (Ref:1775933)   #6
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I remember chatting to Jim Allington years back, on this kind of thing. He'd done a cutaway of the Hondola, I think.
Honda wanted to know who'd sold/given the drawings, as he was SO right.
Again, a talented engineer/artist, with a good eye!
Giorgio first popped up in the 80s, for me, and I was always impressed with how MUCH info he noticed. Those before and after drawings in Autosport were fabulous things...