Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 2 Dec 2006, 06:10 (Ref:1779973)   #1
trikesrule
Racer

trikesrule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dimples are not Zits

See RCE Vol 16 #10 article on Dimples. What are your thoughts guys?.........trikes
Old 2 Dec 2006, 10:25 (Ref:1780201)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I haven't a clue what you are talking about.
Old 2 Dec 2006, 10:47 (Ref:1780211)   #3
trikesrule
Racer

Hi Peter Racecar Engineering have an article about Dimple technology on surfaces. It's in the above mentioned Issue / Volume. Have u seen it? Am I in the correct section for posting this sort of thing......trikes

Last edited by trikesrule; 2 Dec 2006 at 10:49.
Old 2 Dec 2006, 10:52 (Ref:1780213)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Trikes,

You assume we are all able to obtain RCE, fyi I am in Moscow thus it's highly unlikely that I'll see it. So, if you want to discuss something you'll need to be more specific.
Old 2 Dec 2006, 11:30 (Ref:1780244)   #5
trikesrule
Racer

Moscow wow. Umm My Gravity Racer(s) and my one of my Helmets have Dimples on them and in testing (and on race day) they have yielded quite a gain in speed. About two seasons back I made my boss a Dimpled nose cone for his Formula V. He went about 3/10+ quicker and he said there was less turbulence / buffeting with his Helmet. I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried Dimples.........trikes
Old 2 Dec 2006, 12:26 (Ref:1780278)   #6
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Kirk Douglas would be on a winner then but only if he wore an open face job :-)
Old 2 Dec 2006, 12:33 (Ref:1780280)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They are good on golf balls. I've not tried them on an XJS yet...
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikes
About two seasons back I made my boss a Dimpled nose cone for his Formula V. He went about 3/10+ quicker and he said there was less turbulence / buffeting with his Helmet.
So you are saying that there is a dimple/surface ratio that improves the CoD significantly to substatially reduce the time between the end and the start of the circuit by a significant percentage?
Or did he just drive quicker?

What were the two nose cones like?

Last edited by Adam43; 2 Dec 2006 at 12:37.
Old 2 Dec 2006, 12:42 (Ref:1780285)   #8
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Trikes,
Dimples are just one type of vortex generator, that may be used in aero work. The idea is that they disturb the boundary layer, just enough to bring some free flow inwards, speding flow near the surface and preventing the boundary getting thicker, a precursor to seperation and stalling. In a wing, stall destroys lift, on a car it induces turbulence and drag. (Google for "Vortex generator dimple" for lots of references)

So, Yes, dimples could reduce turbulence! But having seen your downhill racer, I have to say that as a smooth, aerodynamic, low drag teardrop shape, how can I tell you this - it's not! Big, big smiley!

Have you tried the time honoured, cheap and informative method of tufts? Short, 3-6" lengths of wool taped to the surface under question. Take photos at speed, and look for movement of the tufts.
Still tuft=laminar flow. (good!)
Fluttery tuft=turbulent. (bad!)

If tufts downstream from a new vortex generator have less flutter than before - Result!

John
Old 2 Dec 2006, 15:56 (Ref:1780369)   #9
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Kirk Douglas would be on a winner then but only if he wore an open face job :-)
Old 2 Dec 2006, 16:43 (Ref:1780393)   #10
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This technology has ben used for two decades, at least, for military jets (the painted surface has a texture similar to a fine grade of sand paper).

Fear of sponsor complaints, is the only logical reason it isn't used on race cars.
Old 2 Dec 2006, 17:06 (Ref:1780396)   #11
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote: "a fine grade of sand paper"

ironic really, in view of Trikes' parallel thread on Waxes and ultra high polish!

And as shark skin contains vortex generators, this technology has been used for 400 million years (approximately!).
See: http://www.astrographics.com/Gallery...ex/GP2127.html

John
Old 2 Dec 2006, 17:38 (Ref:1780409)   #12
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikesrule
Moscow wow. Umm My Gravity Racer(s) and my one of my Helmets have Dimples on them and in testing (and on race day) they have yielded quite a gain in speed. About two seasons back I made my boss a Dimpled nose cone for his Formula V. He went about 3/10+ quicker and he said there was less turbulence / buffeting with his Helmet. I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried Dimples.........trikes
Could you say that he is that consistent that 3/10th could be down to dimples or was the weather kinder/he drove better or even had different tyre pressures on the day?
I have lots of dimples on my bonnet and helmet from stone chips and they make no difference at all.
Old 2 Dec 2006, 17:54 (Ref:1780423)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman-normal
This technology has ben used for two decades, at least, for military jets (the painted surface has a texture similar to a fine grade of sand paper).

Fear of sponsor complaints, is the only logical reason it isn't used on race cars.
Just like pebble dashing then,must get the House done!
Old 2 Dec 2006, 17:55 (Ref:1780425)   #14
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
Could you say that he is that consistent that 3/10th could be down to dimples or was the weather kinder/he drove better or even had different tyre pressures on the day?
I have lots of dimples on my bonnet and helmet from stone chips and they make no difference at all.
How do you know??
Old 2 Dec 2006, 17:58 (Ref:1780426)   #15
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I wonder if any Helmet manufactureras have thought of this,a giant golf ball with a slot to see out of .
Old 2 Dec 2006, 22:52 (Ref:1780546)   #16
trikesrule
Racer

Hi Guys. For my boss's Formula Vee I flopped a copy of his old nose cone then added dimples in the hi-pressure areas. On race day he had Practise + five races and alternated between nose cones. At the days conclusion he sat down and added up the lap times for each three events. Hence two years later he's still using the dimpled cone. Now u and I know there are flaws in his process but he's a hard man to convince or change anything at all. He got curious when he heard how much T/D and more speed the Gravity club members found. That Denticle site is interesting to me. My other Racer has Vortex Generators on top and at the rear of it's wheel covers. They are worth .7kmh. Not much I know but all these little gains add up and could part explain why it's never lost a race and holds every speed record at every track it's been too in Australia. I put Zymol on my racer and yellow helmet and found another 1 kmh. I'm not a rocket scientist. if it makes my racers go faster it stays on. If not......... A giant golf ball with a slot for a helmet - not as silly as it sounds. Actually my yellow helmet has that technology on it. The stone chips on the front of a car when compared to my helmet are probably to small and not placed in the right pattern............trikes
Old 5 Dec 2006, 13:35 (Ref:1782544)   #17
retro_msport
Racer

England
Harlow
retro_msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
I wonder if any Helmet manufactureras have thought of this,a giant golf ball with a slot to see out of .

So thats why golf balls have dimples ....
Old 5 Dec 2006, 13:56 (Ref:1782557)   #18
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Peter you can get RCE in Moscow - on subscription...

anyway the issue in question is October 2006 - Jan 2007 is about to hit the shelves. However I'm very interested to see some pics of Trikes Dimpled Vee nose - I'd love to find out if it works on a Sheane mk2...

Certainly dimples are an area not fully exploited by motorsport as yet, the shape of the dimple its pretty critical though I don't think that random stone chips would help
Old 6 Dec 2006, 07:55 (Ref:1783082)   #19
trikesrule
Racer

SS It will take me a couple of days to get a pic. My Boss is thinking of selling his v and going to F2 or F3 here in aus. I spoke with Pete today about those dimples and he said he is 250 rpm more at the end of Symonds Plains back straight (about 1 km) and it's the difference between getting a tow from the quicks whereas before he said he just couldn't quite get onto the back of them (theres two blokes who are always out front).........trikes
Old 6 Dec 2006, 20:33 (Ref:1783569)   #20
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
I just had a look at some golf balls, and curiously they don't all have the same dimple pattern. Most are regular, although they vary in depth and sharpness of edge, but one make actually has different sizes of dimples arranged in an apparently random fashion. Seems there isn't only one solution even for a shape as simple as a sphere!
Old 9 Dec 2006, 10:59 (Ref:1785776)   #21
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
the dimple shape and pattern is crucial.

Trikes I can wait but I'm really keen to see