Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Dec 2006, 20:19 (Ref:1801435)   #1
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
SennaTheGreat has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Can Toyota win a race in '07?

An intresting question now, can Toyota win A race in 2007? As they have the biggest? (Stand Corrected if i am wrong) budget in F1 i think they should have won a race already but F1 is not like that.

I think that in 2007 Toyota could stand a chance of winning their 1st F1 Race. What do you all think?
Old 29 Dec 2006, 20:35 (Ref:1801442)   #2
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Toyota could win a race in 2007 providing they have a decent car, and a lot of luck. They showed flashes of speed during 2006 but never really looked like getting a win. IMO. Personally I dont think Toyota will win in 2007, they could do, but I just dont see it happening unless theres a freak accident at one of the starts. Then again, stranger things have happened.
Old 29 Dec 2006, 20:48 (Ref:1801450)   #3
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
YES, if they get some peopel who know how to spend their money properly and build a decent car . that money would be much better spent on my racing career
Old 29 Dec 2006, 21:33 (Ref:1801486)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I actually think it may be possible for them to luck into a win this season. It could all come together you know: a shedload of great cars retire, either one of the drivers happens to be on a weekend when he is awake, pigs flying in the distant air....
Old 29 Dec 2006, 23:26 (Ref:1801538)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Will Williams win a GP with a Toyota powerplant before Toyota's factory team?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 30 Dec 2006, 00:22 (Ref:1801562)   #6
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alas GTR, the answer is no.
Frank has a good team, good staff and good engineers but is in a rebuilding phase. Yes Toyota power is useful and they may be faster than the works cars on some occasions (hopefully most occasions, if last season is anything to go by....) but will they WIN before the works team? I doubt it.

Last season's Monaco performance by Webber was their best chance and I don't know if they can come up with enough technical advantage to push themselves into the winning stratosphere.

If Nico and Alex can score podiums, a couple each, they will have done very well indeed.
An alliance with an engine manufacturer in the nineties was an advantage over other teams that lacked such an association. Nowadays having manufacturer tie in is a matter of survival.

Williams coped well when they had a technical advantage in the early 80's (FW07) and works engines (Honda 80's, Renault early to late 90's) and some results with BMW in the earlier part of this millenium, but the Ferrari experience 2000-2005 changed everything. Now you need a manufacturer who is willing to invest over a quarter of a billion $$$ annually to get the sort of technical advantage you need to win...
And Frank doesn't have that....

Last edited by Teretonga; 30 Dec 2006 at 00:30.
Old 30 Dec 2006, 00:48 (Ref:1801570)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
can Toyota win a race in 07 ?

Not a chance with their drivers !!!!
Old 30 Dec 2006, 01:52 (Ref:1801591)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
It's probably all down to who gets the job done in the wind tunnel,and who gets the handle on the new tyres.Engines are no longer a real factor,so long as they stay reliable.

Can Toyota win? It'll probably be the most open season for years,so it's now or never IMO.
Old 30 Dec 2006, 07:25 (Ref:1801642)   #9
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
can Toyota win a race in 07 ?

Not a chance with their drivers !!!!
What you mean Trulli, F1 GP Winner with Alonso as team-mate no less and Schumacher, F1 GP Winner no less.
Old 30 Dec 2006, 07:48 (Ref:1801646)   #10
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd agree that next year is their best chance yet, with engines and tyres being either standardised, or almost standardised, but i still dont think they'd be capable.

Even with a fast enough car/driver package, do the guys in the pits and on the pit wall know how to make the right strategy?
Old 30 Dec 2006, 08:48 (Ref:1801659)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO

Even with a fast enough car/driver package, do the guys in the pits and on the pit wall know how to make the right strategy?
Well,Ross Brawn won't be there this season,so that's been standardised too.
Old 30 Dec 2006, 10:34 (Ref:1801691)   #12
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Will Williams win a GP with a Toyota powerplant before Toyota's factory team?
well, it will be interesting to see how they both perform i think williams will do the better job, and a bit of my biased as i would like to see williams back fighting
Old 30 Dec 2006, 11:46 (Ref:1801723)   #13
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think they can come back from multiple retirements and mid-field finishes in 2006 to winning races in 2007. If they can get back to their 2005 form, then maybe aim for wins in 2008 is a better option.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 30 Dec 2006, 12:00 (Ref:1801730)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
I don't think they can come back from multiple retirements and mid-field finishes in 2006 to winning races in 2007. If they can get back to their 2005 form, then maybe aim for wins in 2008 is a better option.
So they have to go backwards in order to go forwards.

And don't forget that next season they can't rely on Bridgestone to help them out.
Old 30 Dec 2006, 13:03 (Ref:1801742)   #15
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
So they have to go backwards in order to go forwards.
Sort of. In 2005 they were in the Top 10 on a lot of occasions, then their form slumped in 2006. If they can regain the sort of performance they had in 2005, I think they will be happy. Then, if they can do that, 2008 may be the year to look for race wins and podiums.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 30 Dec 2006, 13:11 (Ref:1801745)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A lot of 2006 problems came from the board level decision to move to Bridgestones, which basically caused some problems with the new car being designed around Michelins.

To be honest, Toyota did show the occasional flash in 2006 and they are capable of better for sure. They can be a podium team probably and when you are there, a win can be fluked.
Old 30 Dec 2006, 13:29 (Ref:1801757)   #17
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Both drivers are Grand Prix winners although both have looked distinctly average in 2006.

It will all depend on how the new Toyota handles the new Bridgestones. If they can repeat their performance of 2005, then I see an upset perhaps.

With so many new rules and driver changes, it will be their best chance to snatch their first win.
Old 30 Dec 2006, 18:56 (Ref:1801897)   #18
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
SennaTheGreat has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
With how Ferrari and Renault have lost "THEIR" star drivers (Schumacher & Alonso) I think these teams will be down on performance for a couple of races so i'd say Toyota have a good chance in the 1st few races
Old 30 Dec 2006, 22:38 (Ref:1801974)   #19
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
I seriously doubt Ferrari will be off the pace at the start of the '07 season. And if Renault are, it'll only be because none of their drivers are good enough to compete up the front.
Old 31 Dec 2006, 01:04 (Ref:1802023)   #20
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i rekon Ferrari will be the pace setters early on but every one will catch up.
Old 31 Dec 2006, 05:51 (Ref:1802064)   #21
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebberForWDC
What you mean Trulli, F1 GP Winner with Alonso as team-mate no less and Schumacher, F1 GP Winner no less.
Yes they have both won Grand Prix , but neither of them have looked like being consistent winners for many years

In fact I think even Fisichella could beat both of them hands down and thats saying something !!!!

as for the Toyota team , they have the money,brains and technological know how they just need to put all that together and get it to work right and they will be a big force to be reckoned with.......once they find some top class drivers that is
Old 31 Dec 2006, 10:04 (Ref:1802110)   #22
baclightning
Racer

United States
Kirkland, WA, USA
baclightning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Honda can win a race in 2006, then Toyota could win a race in 2007...
Old 31 Dec 2006, 14:57 (Ref:1802233)   #23
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel that most of Toy's problems are caused by the constant shuffling of people. At first it was the drivers but now it seems to be management types. BAR/Honda were the same as was the terrible Ford program. Look back over the history of successful teams and you will find the majority of them retained most personnal for several years.
Old 31 Dec 2006, 16:36 (Ref:1802301)   #24
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its wrong to compare Toyota and Honda in racing. The philosophies and even the funding come from different places in each team. Honda won a race in 06 because they had a good car and a great driver. JB was faster than Alonso when they were both on track. It was a huge achievement for Honda and especially for JB because he drove like a champ that day.
Honda's philosophy in F1 is a little different from most. The reshuffling of staff is a strategic move. This company is not looking to convention of win races its looking to innovation; this is the difference between a team being run by the engineering department and one being run by PR. http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-messa...ge%5fid=647134 This article should explain a little more the reasons for Honda approaching the sport the way they do. Also, http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=137470 this article on f1racing.net. shows where their ideas will come from. It wont be based on one mans idea of what will and will not work.

Anyone can win a race but under what conditions. Didn't Panis win a race? How many cars were left in that race? I dont like to predict but I feel confident they will be a mid field team with occasional flashes of speed. They will run light to qualify well in some races and in others they will seem pretty ordinary, well if history means anything. Toyota has not changed their approach to the sport so I doubt their results will change much either. A team like Ferrari lives through racing. Racing is built into every Ferrari built. Toyota is using this sport as a marketing tool. Even if Williams wins this year, Toyota will benefit; believe me, they will have commercials about their GP winning team. They have done it before.
Old 31 Dec 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1802500)   #25
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It seems unlikley, but they have experience of the Bridgestones, and both their drivers have won races in the past. The trouble is, BMW and Honda both seem to be moving forward, so 6th overall is probably the best they can hope for. Lucky circumstances or a specific great drive (Jarno and Ralf are both capable on their day) might see them luck into something, but a few podiums seems more realistic.