Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 7 Jan 2007, 15:28 (Ref:1808873)   #1
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Chris Paterson- Memorial Service Thursday 18th January

Personally I don't know Chris, but have just had this come through in an email from Mildred and thought there would be other people here who would know him and may wish to know.

Condolences to Chris' family, RIP.

Quote:

It is with very much regret that I have to inform you all with the very sad news that Chris Paterson passed away this past week after suffering a massive heart attack. .

Chris has been a valued member of BRSCC SE Centre over many years - during which he was both a Flag/Examining Observer/DSO -

Chris for a few years also looked after all our new Trainee Marshals - then went on to become both a Judge and Club Steward.

Chris was a person with a wide range of experience and interest in all fields of
Motor Sport.

Our sympathy goes out to his wife Margaret and his son Tim.

Best wishes

Bernard Cottrell
BRSCC SE Centre Chairman
Old 7 Jan 2007, 15:59 (Ref:1808880)   #2
garybirch
Racer

England
Taunton, Somerset UK
garybirch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris was my first contact

When I started marshalling in 1999, I lived only 10 mins away from Brands Hatch so it became my home track.
Being in charge of the newbies, Chris was my first contact with marshalling and I owe much of my continued interest to him.
He was a friendly, helpful, kind fellow, always with a smile on his face.
He shall be missed.
May he rest in piece and may God Bless his family.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 16:02 (Ref:1808884)   #3
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I received the new this morning from Chris's widow. I worked with a lot over the past eight years as part of the mid week crew at Brands Hatch. He will be missed.

RIP Chris
Old 7 Jan 2007, 16:10 (Ref:1808885)   #4
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
Great Denham, Bedfordshire
Flat Out Farr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry to hear this sad news. I first met Chris sprinting back in the early 1980's. He was a gentleman and a good sportsman. He will be sadly missed.

RIP Chris
Old 7 Jan 2007, 22:16 (Ref:1809127)   #5
gwar
Racer

gwar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is really sad news,we really liked chris, had alot of good times up at rockingham, espiacially when a group of us met up at travellodge on sat night of race weekends....allways had a meal and a few laughs.
Met him last at brands hatch in pitlane,

Deepest sympithies to his family and friends,
Old 8 Jan 2007, 07:45 (Ref:1809326)   #6
Snotty
Rookie

United Kingdom
Billericay Essex
Snotty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was one of the many trainees Chris introduced to Brands. His enthusiasm for marshalling was one of the things that persuaded me to come back for more. I will always be grateful. A lovely man. Rest in peace Chris.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 08:54 (Ref:1809361)   #7
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris was a former BARC S/E committee member and a valuable asset to any club. He will be sorely missed.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 10:09 (Ref:1809404)   #8
mikepaterson
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bowers Gifford, Essex, UK
mikepaterson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for your lovely comments

Dear all,
Thanks very much for your comments about my dad Chris.

We were all obviously very shocked at his passing and your comments serve to remind of us of the sort of man that he was.

I have set up a condolences website at :

http://chris-paterson.gonetoosoon.co.uk

Please feel free to visit the site and add a comment, photo, tribute etc.

The funeral is not yet arranged, but we intend to have an open service at a local church in Southend followed by a smaller family service at the crematorium. Anybody that knew dad would be most welcome at the church service which we hope will be a celebration of his (very full) life.

If anybody wants to contact me in this regard, please feel free to do so at mjpaterson@gmail.com or by PM.
Likewise if you want dad's address (to contact Maggie) or if you want to conact my brother Tim or sister Jean, then please let me know.

Thanks again for your kind and thoughtful comments.

I am sure that Dad will have made his mark in the racing circles of heaven already; marshalling up at Post 3 or 21, or trying to go flat in the Delta round some great blind corner up there !

Cheers
Mike
Old 8 Jan 2007, 10:25 (Ref:1809414)   #9
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Mike, really sad to hear the news of your Dad leaving us. As others have already said, Chris Paterson was a real gent, and as he visited the posts on his way round with another batch of newbies always found time for a bit of a natter. That job seemed to suit him.

Great company when he was my observer as well, or in more recent years the driving standards observer on post with you. Very knowledgable and happy to pass on what he knew.

Always a decent, caring chap your dad.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 10:56 (Ref:1809431)   #10
Silver Flag
Rookie

England
Kent
Silver Flag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too am very sad to hear the news of Chris' passing.
Like many others I first met Chris during my induction to marshalling at BH in 1993.
Over the years he was always willing to offer advice and encouragement and was one of the most likeable people in motor sport.

A truely lovely man.

My sincere condolances to his family.

Mike Jones
Old 8 Jan 2007, 12:33 (Ref:1809532)   #11
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was very saddened to read the news about Chris. As a trainee at Brands he was my one of my first contacts in the world of orange and he was very helpful and encouraging. My thoughts are with his family.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 13:39 (Ref:1809605)   #12
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad news.
I think I can honestly say that he was the kindest, gentlest person I have ever known in marshalling. He always had time for a chat on his induction tour and never mindless chat. Always intelligent and always relevent.
After Scotty, Rod, Cagney and all, the face of marshalling is changing at Brands, and maybe not for the better.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 13:48 (Ref:1809615)   #13
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first ever day out in ornage was spent in Chris' company walking round Brands. Ever since that day 10 years ago he was always ready with a cheery hello whenever I saw him.

Rest easy Chris. You'll not be forgotten.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 14:06 (Ref:1809633)   #14
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very saddened to hear the news. Like many others I first met Chris as a trainee at Brand Hatch, in the mid 1980s.

Chris, you will be missed but not forgotten.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 15:34 (Ref:1809698)   #15
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
A gentleman and another terrible loss.

Our sincerest sympathies.

Terri & Grant
Old 8 Jan 2007, 16:47 (Ref:1809736)   #16
Novice
Racer

England
Rochester, Kent
Novice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So sorry to hear of Chris passing away. As others have said he was also my first contact with the world of orange. A kind and gentle person who always had a smile on his face. He will be sorely missed by all those that new him, even if only briefly, as he was a true Gent of the old school. RIP
Old 8 Jan 2007, 17:15 (Ref:1809755)   #17
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is very sad news. I liked Chris a lot. He was always ready to help.
He always kept thanking me over and over again for driving all the way from Belgium just to marshal.
He will be sorely missed. RIP Chris.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 08:42 (Ref:1810215)   #18
turbo-ww
Racer

England
turbo-ww should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sorry to hear the the sad news, as is evident from the previous posts, the first word anyone has to describe Chris was Gentleman. There are not many about, and unfortunately, now there is one less.

We'll miss him.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 10:05 (Ref:1810257)   #19
Alec Knyvett
Rookie

England
Alec Knyvett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike, my wife and I were so shocked to hear the sad news about Chris. As other posts have said he was a true Gent, but also very approachable to anyone who wanted help or advice. If he saw Christine at breakfast in Hailwoods he would always stop for a chat.
He has no doubt gone to the great track in the sky as an RAC Steward and will probably have the observers in front of him soon to explain why the entire BTCC field has been reported for contact !!
Our condolences to you all.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 10:28 (Ref:1810268)   #20
mikepaterson
Rookie

United Kingdom
Thanks to all of you

Thanks to everybody for their kind words and memories of Dad. It is nice to see comments and tributes from people that I know, and also those that I don't.

I will post details of the funeral here and also on the condolences website once the details have been sorted out.

The current plan is for a church service in Westcliffe-on-Sea that will act as a celebration of Dad's life - he had so many interests and seemed to devote his life to each and every one !!! The service will be open to all (we will have a family cremation afterwards) so that any of you that would like to attend would be most welcome.

If you have memories of Dad, or pictures that you would like to share, please post them at http://chris-paterson.gonetoosoon.co.uk , or email pictures to me and I will add them.

Thanks again

Mike
Old 12 Jan 2007, 17:20 (Ref:1813473)   #21
paul.hickman
Racer

United States
uk, mallorca & florida...
paul.hickman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess I first met Chris way back in the 1970's (may even have been the 60's) and as many have said he was always a most approachable and entertaining man. From deep in the memory I seem to remember that he was a schoolmaster for many years with a passion for building and then sprinting or trialling cars. Perhaps it was little wonder that he became such a successful and respected trainer for the BRSCC for many years.

God speed Chris - you will prove an impossible act to follow...
Old 12 Jan 2007, 21:40 (Ref:1813635)   #22
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Gentleman, who will be sorely missed at Brands, and no doubt elsewhere too.

I don't marshal much at Brands these days, but he would still stop for a few words on his way through with the novice tour. Always cheerfull, always knowledgable, is how I remeber him.
Old 12 Jan 2007, 21:42 (Ref:1813638)   #23
paddock.one
Racer

England
Cumbria
paddock.one should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike - my condolences too - very sad to hear of Chris's passing. Like many who have already responded, I also found him one of the basic checkpoints at Brands signing-on (from when I started around 1990) at any race day. Always a smile, a handshake, a chat or a bit of news or advice. Always there when anyone - especially a beginner - needed some help, encouragement, etc. A great support, and a gentle man, he will be much missed...

Martin Borland
Old 14 Jan 2007, 19:51 (Ref:1815142)   #24
mikepaterson
Rookie

United Kingdom
Celebration of Chris' Life - Thursday 18th Jan - All welcome

A Celebration of Dad's Life will be held on THURSDAY 18th JANUARY 1:45 p.m. at:

St. Peters Church
Eastbourne Grove
Southend-On-Sea
Essex
SS0 0QF

All are Welcome to attend. Please forward this information on to any of Dad's friends who may not be on this forum.

Family Flowers only please.

We will be making a collection in the service that will be passed to 3 of the charities that Dad was involved with.

We hope to see you there if you can make it.

Please note that parking at and near the church may be limited due to the proximity of Southend Hospital. Please allow extra time to get to the church.