Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 24 Jan 2007, 10:40 (Ref:1824478)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Moving Models

Hey guys,

I'm moving from Sydney to Adelaide and I am wondering what the best way to send my model cars down there is. I am sending them via road travel so what is the best way to pack them etc. So they don't get damaged?

Thanks in advance.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 24 Jan 2007, 10:48 (Ref:1824483)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Have you still got the baseplates, screws and boxes? If so, half the battle's won. If not, however careful you are using plenty of soft tissue, boxes and then bubblewrap, things like aerials and wing mirrors are still at risk. Be prepared for some damage of this nature.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 12:13 (Ref:1824565)   #3
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I sure do have the original plates, screws and boxes John... I don't know why any sane person would get rid of them .

I'm planning to line a box with either shredded paper or scrunched up newspaper, wrap the models in bubble wrap and place them in the box. I can hazard a guess and say it's not smart to put the right next to the sides so they don't get bumped or anything like that.

Anything else I should do?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 24 Jan 2007, 15:45 (Ref:1824810)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just chuck 'em in a bloody great box, that's what I did!

Plenty of padding should do the trick.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 24 Jan 2007 at 22:32. Reason: Spelling howler
Old 24 Jan 2007, 20:52 (Ref:1825086)   #5
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Just chuck 'em in a bloody great box, that's what I did!

Pkenty of padding should do the trick.
i wouldnt recommend chucking them

just pad them up good like knowlesy said, and put them in a box.

nothing else you can do but hope
Old 28 Jan 2007, 13:05 (Ref:1827786)   #6
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I've only ever had one model damaged in transit and that was a 1:43 car I sent via Royal Mail. It was securely fastened to its base, in its box and in a well padded package. I can only presume that it was in a large postage sack which was thrown in the back of a van resulting in the entire weight of the bag crushing it.

In other words, it's not something I'd worry about, just screw the models onto their plinths, slide them back into their boxes along with some shredded newspaper or polystyrene chippings, then pack the boxes into one large box and mark fragile so hopefully the movers will be a bit more careful with it. You'll be fine.
Old 28 Jan 2007, 13:33 (Ref:1827806)   #7
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When I am sending for ebay stuff I've sold they're always attached to their plinth with some extra shredded paper in their box, and then normally in a cardbox too which comes when you get the car. I then put them in an additional box (have quite a few small ones) and again pad that with shredded paper etc (ie between the original cardboard box for the car and the additional one I put it in). I then wrap it in brown paper (though not relevant to you!) and mark fragile / handle with care.

So far not had any problems bar one person who said the car had come from the plinth but after I'd replied never heard from him again, so may have been trying it on. It can be a little time consuming but it's the way I've found works so hope it would be ok if you did that too, and seems similar to other people's suggestions above.
Old 28 Jan 2007, 13:37 (Ref:1827812)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Echo!
Old 29 Jan 2007, 08:55 (Ref:1828366)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not really! Just an expansion with personal experience. I guess we have pretty much covered this off now, though, for chatters!
Old 30 Jan 2007, 10:37 (Ref:1829296)   #10
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
I'm pretty sure you have John- All the models are now packed up, and sitting in a deserted room in NSW waiting for a grumpy old fat bloke to pick 'em up and drive them to Adelaide.

Oh, the fun.
Old 14 Feb 2007, 09:52 (Ref:1841051)   #11
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Well, the box is on its way to merry old Adelaide now, hopefully still in one piece!
Old 14 Feb 2007, 10:57 (Ref:1841118)   #12
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hope everything's ok when you unpack it Don't envy you on that one...
Old 20 Feb 2007, 08:57 (Ref:1846176)   #13
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
All the models arrived today...

And they're all in one piece!!!