Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 22 Apr 2007, 06:51 (Ref:1897451)   #1
Jamesd
Racer

Jamesd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Books: Race Car Engineering and Mechanics book

Hi

I am looking to get a book about motorsport as i am hoping to do motorsport mechanics soon at college. I have picked this book as it seems to go over all about the cars and stuff like that.

Has anybody got this book and what is it like.

Is there any other books like that around

James
Old 22 Apr 2007, 12:21 (Ref:1897635)   #2
Alx
Racer

United Kingdom
The World Where I Live
Alx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi James,

Well, I don't have the book you refer to, but I did a bit of a search and there's some reviews and a "look inside" on Amazon US here - http://www.amazon.com/Race-Engineeri...914140-9120630

Looks pretty good to me. I think there may be a similar book by Carroll Smith, but I don't own that either but maybe someone here does?

The one thing I was going to suggest as a starting point was the series of books by Haynes entitled "Competition Car...". If you are mainly interested in a particular area these are good background material (not a lot of the maths, but your course should cover that). They are mainly designed for people building cars, but I found some of them useful to me through my studies at university. There are titles such as Competition Car Composites, Competition Car Aerodynamics, Competition Car Suspension, Competition Car Preparation etc. They've more recently brought out a few new ones, but if, for example, you're wanting to go into Composites, the Composites one provides a strong practical background.

I'd also keep your eyes out for the magazines Racecar Engineering and Racetech - these both have great articles in, and while I've found them relatively expensive for magazines, if you see an article you like the look of they can be pretty good. Racecar Engineering I think also do special student discounted subscription rates. I don't know where you are, but if it helps I think Racetech is a US magazine, and Racecar Engineering like a UK version - though they are quite different.

Hope that helps
"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, but I feel that life is measured in achievement, and not in years alone"
Old 22 Apr 2007, 12:45 (Ref:1897647)   #3
Jamesd
Racer

Hi

Thanks for that i am based In Swindon, England i find race car enginnering very expensive, but i will look into the other books you said about are they on amazon.

James
Old 22 Apr 2007, 14:24 (Ref:1897718)   #4
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Carroll Smith's books were the race mechanics' bible. Prepare to Win, Tune to Win and Design to Win were in almost every race shop at one time. They were written in the 70's but most of the advice is still valid and practical. Carroll was very down to earth and a super guy. He not only was an engineer but a hands on race mechanic so his advice is not just theory. Yes, I did know him as we were both in FA crews at the same time in the old Players series.
They are probably hard to find now but may pop up on E-Bay. I am not letting my copies go despite not working on race cars anymore.
Unfortunately Carroll passed away a few years ago.
Old 22 Apr 2007, 15:27 (Ref:1897775)   #5
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think RCE is £4.99 and Racetech £4.50 - both are monthlies. RCE has a larger circulation in the US (but is based in the UK) and Racetech is based in the UK too - RCE certainly do do discounts for students and do cover US stuff as well as everywhere else. Both have websites if you want some more info or see here http://www.racecar-engineering.com - RCE also do online subscriptions if you prefer that!

An interesting book for a read is The Unfair Advantage by Mark Donohue and Paul Van Valkenburgh (also on Amazon).
Old 22 Apr 2007, 16:38 (Ref:1897801)   #6
Jamesd
Racer

Hi

I looked on the race car enginnering website and i cant see anything for a student discount.

James
Old 22 Apr 2007, 19:04 (Ref:1897867)   #7
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Send an email to sam_collins@ipcmedia.com - he'll be able to help (and advise what it'll be)
Old 22 Apr 2007, 19:30 (Ref:1897888)   #8
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forgot 'Engineer to Win'.