Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Oct 2008, 22:42 (Ref:2312582)   #26
Matthew Ronke
Veteran

Australia
NSW
Matthew Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Bazil. You work your backside off for months or even years to get people to attend the event. A journalist comes along ask for a free pass and undoes all your work in 400 or so words.

Then the irony is the newspaper will ring and tell you how good it is for your business to advertise in the Newspaper. Yet their journalist has just canned what you have been doing.
Old 14 Oct 2008, 22:51 (Ref:2312584)   #27
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
I'd run the freedom of the press line baz ... your approach is akin to demanding all press gallery journos are card carrying members of the union ... yes men may be your preferred reading baz, not for me !!!
Cavvy, I will assume that you have taken my thoughts out of context. I have no time for unions or yes men and enjoy discussion with others who share a different point of view. However I certainly dont expect an invitation to Christmas lunch with DRT or the ARDC now or anytime in the near future. McKay has every right to exercise his opinion but unlike most of us he has a column in a major fish and chip wrapper to voice his own agenda. He has chosen for personal reasons to wage his own smear campaign against Supercars since day 1.

In spite of his stance he still expects to be invited to Bathurst? Because of freedom of the press? If I was Cocho I would have extended an open invitation to all scribes at his paper but with a clear exception of him. Freedom of the press is like parliamentary privilege because journo’s use it to say what ever they want without repercussion or reprisal and that is just "Crap"
Old 14 Oct 2008, 23:00 (Ref:2312589)   #28
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane
Actually the MCG is not privately owned it is crown land administered by a Government appointed trust and it's use was deeded to the Melbourne Cricket Club by the Government back in late 1800s I think.
Either way V8SC treatment of Peter McKay and others that don't tow the party line is a disgrace but an even bigger disgrace is the cowardice of the mainstream motorsport media who haven't gone into bat for their colleague.
When Bernie tried this with a US reporter at Indy the entire US media contingent declared the event black and walked out.
The next morning Bernie was in the Press Centre making a grovelling apology.
BTW there is no such thing as "Freedom of the Press" here in Australia, in fact Australia's media is amongst the most restricted and regimented anywhere in the western world.
So you have put a blanket ban on covering all V8 Supercar news effective from the moment Mr Mckay was denied access to the race track??
Old 14 Oct 2008, 23:32 (Ref:2312607)   #29
bazil
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane
Actually the MCG is not privately owned it is crown land administered by a Government appointed trust and it's use was deeded to the Melbourne Cricket Club by the Government back in late 1800s I think.
Either way V8SC treatment of Peter McKay and others that don't tow the party line is a disgrace but an even bigger disgrace is the cowardice of the mainstream motorsport media who haven't gone into bat for their colleague.
When Bernie tried this with a US reporter at Indy the entire US media contingent declared the event black and walked out.
The next morning Bernie was in the Press Centre making a grovelling apology.
BTW there is no such thing as "Freedom of the Press" here in Australia, in fact Australia's media is amongst the most restricted and regimented anywhere in the western world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
So you have put a blanket ban on covering all V8 Supercar news effective from the moment Mr Mckay was denied access to the race track??
Old 15 Oct 2008, 01:46 (Ref:2312677)   #30
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil
He has chosen for personal reasons to wage his own smear campaign against Supercars since day 1.
Why is it a smear campaign because he isnt prepared to grandstand the v8s like other journos such as your Ray Kerchlers, Chico Harlands etc?

From memory many of Mr Mckays articles question the ludricous television and attendance figures thrown out by Cochrane and his men/women inside VESA. Why is it that a smear campaign, isnt that the role of the media?

Can you imagine if the NRL, AFL, or Cricket you know professional sports, started pulling journos passes everytime they said something not in a positive light of the sport?

It seems V8SA want to run there series like a communist regime, anyone who dares to question is banished to the side.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 02:21 (Ref:2312689)   #31
bazil
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Why is it a smear campaign because he isnt prepared to grandstand the v8s like other journos such as your Ray Kerchlers, Chico Harlands etc?
There is a distinct difference between not grandstanding and bagging but you know that, just conveniently confuse the two.

Quote:
From memory many of Mr. McKay’s articles question the ludicrous television and attendance figures thrown out by Cochrane and his men/women inside VESA. Why is it that a smear campaign, isn’t that the role of the media?
From memory, come on DRT his writings would read like religious scripter to you, as you have similar agendas

Quote:
Can you imagine if the NRL, AFL, or Cricket you know professional sports, started pulling journo’s passes every time they said something not in a positive light of the sport?
Professional sports?? What you think friendly journalism is only evident in V8'S?? It is all about the price of column centimetere space, always has been always will.

Quote:
It seems V8SA want to run there series like a communist regime, anyone who dares to question is banished to the side.
It is a professional show and a proven winning formula that will forever have the odd minority detractor like yourself. But you can take comfort from the fact I am sure they are not having a crisis meeting on how to deal with Mr. McKay's issues or for that matter yours...

P.S
How is my christams dinner invitation coming along, as I just checked the mail and it still was not there??
Old 15 Oct 2008, 03:26 (Ref:2312706)   #32
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The role of the media is to analyse rather than regurgitate press releases.If you don't believe most of the Australian motor sport media has been bludgeoned into uncritical subservience to V8 Supercars see if you can nominate someone on the broadcasting team who casts a critical eye on the sports administration as does Richie Benaud in cricket or Phil Gould or Warren Smith in the NRL.Tell me the name of anyone outside Peter McKay in print who points out the failings of V8 Supercars the way that Michael Scott (Moto GP),Joe Seward(F1) or Matthew Engel (Wisden) do in the sports in which they are regarded as the leading writer.Even publications like Motorsport News that several years ago expressed criticism freely eventually became too intimidated to speak out on matters of substance(e.g. In their V8 preview a few years back MN said there were enough street circuits and that more would harm Australian motor sport.Since then we have added Hamilton,Townsville and Homebush and I can't remember them repeating their earlier position.).If we had motor sport journalists of any integrity we would be getting chapter and verse on the full background to the CAMS-V8 Supercars dispute.In the incestuous clique that is the Australian motor sport media we will find out nothing of substance.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 03:30 (Ref:2312708)   #33
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
There is a distinct difference between not grandstanding and bagging but you know that, just conveniently confuse the two.
Is there an example of such bagging Baz? A different opinion isnt bagging lets remember. We are all motorsport fans here.

It seems V8SA keep trying to bring back Mr Mckays comments to a personal level whenever he writes something, regardless of what he writes. Is this an attempt to try and mask the questions he is posing?
Old 15 Oct 2008, 04:31 (Ref:2312728)   #34
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
nomad_n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm confused is this thread about CAMS having to pay to get into the race or is it about media bashing?

So when was this our re the whole V8 circus going professional?
Old 15 Oct 2008, 05:18 (Ref:2312738)   #35
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
In this day & age the ACCC would take a dim view of someone attempting to apply a trade restriction like that.
Yup, sounds a lot like third line forcing to me.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 05:30 (Ref:2312740)   #36
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think anyone is saying that you can't go and publish what you like, it is a free universe, go out there and vent your spleen!

The powers that give out the free tickets have obviously drawn a line in sand, and don't want to give out a free ticket to someone who has slagged continually them for some time now...

I know it has happened in much lesser forms of motorsport before when a competitor has done nothing but ****can an event/venue, but they turn around and expect to get a run... ooops, promoters discretion comes into play baby!

Back to the CAMS Vs AASA Vs Whoever thing... it doens't matter how fantastic your insurance is and how many friends you have at the ACCC, I strongly doubt that any prospective track user could take a facility by force and run their own thing... unless they have someone who is good at picking locks...
Old 15 Oct 2008, 06:51 (Ref:2312762)   #37
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It is a professional show and a proven winning formula that will forever have the odd minority detractor like yourself. But you can take comfort from the fact I am sure they are not having a crisis meeting on how to deal with Mr. McKay's issues or for that matter yours...
This is a point that i must disagree with. You are suggesting that people who don't like V8SC are a small obscure minority group. The great majority of my friends are motorsport fans, but most of them have little or no interest in V8SC.

I think there are a lot of motorsport fans who have lost in interest in V8SC.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 09:11 (Ref:2312854)   #38
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON
Then again, there seemed to be a lot of people in Bathurst on the weekend... I was thinking over the weekend about how much the camp grounds have been extended in recent years... the paddock campground is bigger than it used to be, there's the chase and the drive in theatre Winnebago parking, then there is Harris Park too...

A lot of people might have lost interest, but I think a lot more have gained an interest in it...
Old 15 Oct 2008, 12:04 (Ref:2312975)   #39
D.R.T.
Veteran

I think Bathurst is a different ball game though. This is an event that trancends v8 Supercar. As much as they have done to wreck it, its still a race that people have an attachment too. I dont think its a fair judgement of peoples feelings towards 2008 v8 supercar.

Thats what was so ludicrous about the suggestion the Bathurst crowds and interest will cross over to Sydney.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 13:09 (Ref:2313037)   #40
Green Hornet
Racer

Green Hornet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON
The great majority of my friends are motorsport fans, but most of them have little or no interest in V8SC.

Well these so called motorsport fans (historics aside) aren't going to any other meetings are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Thats what was so ludicrous about the suggestion the Bathurst crowds and interest will cross over to Sydney
Not as ludicrous to suggest Bathurst crowds and interest won't cross over when its not happening for another 11 months or so!

Why don't you leave the V8s and Homebush and keep your woody with the GTs- that mob that actually canned a meeting through lack of interest?
Old 15 Oct 2008, 13:17 (Ref:2313041)   #41
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet
Well these so called motorsport fans (historics aside) aren't going to any other meetings are they?
Most of my friends are more than "so-called" motorsport fans, they are people who live and breathe motorsport and they actually participate rather than spectate and they are going to other meetings, not just historics but State championship race meetings as well.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 22:32 (Ref:2313449)   #42
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Can we return to the thread topic and perhaps start another one about media access??
Old 16 Oct 2008, 02:13 (Ref:2313522)   #43
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA

Can we return to the thread topic and perhaps start another one about media access??
OK, Cool!

BOT, i don't have a problem with promoter's giving free passes to CAMS to distruibute as they see appropriate. I would however, have a huge problem with CAMS using Memeber's funds to buy tickets to an event and then handing them around to their mates etc. Has this ever happened?
Old 16 Oct 2008, 02:30 (Ref:2313528)   #44
D.R.T.
Veteran

With AA reporting this fuss begun over the event permit fee, my question is why did CAMS budge? One group who will play hardball is V8SA and who are quite happy to bump up fees to their business partners, more people have withered in front of V8SA