Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Nov 2002, 14:17 (Ref:436402)   #26
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Time is running out. I pray he takes either Rubens or TGF's spot next year, driving tifosi worldwide into a state of pure ecstacy.

Forza Giancarlo!
Old 25 Nov 2002, 16:32 (Ref:436507)   #27
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is a solid and consistent driver. We have not seen him in a competitive car so it is difficult to tell how well he would take the fight to JPM and MS. We do see how "wide" he can make his car though in races.

Jordan needs Fisi. No one else of his talents will drive a car that has the highest hopes for a 5th place. Ant and Sato don't have the experience and maybe not the talent to bring the car to the best of the rest position.
Old 25 Nov 2002, 20:19 (Ref:436647)   #28
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
[B Ant and Sato don't have the experience and maybe not the talent to bring the car to the best of the rest position. [/B]
they dont have the experience for sure.....but it was just a great romantic thought !
Old 27 Nov 2002, 19:25 (Ref:438160)   #29
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Part of the reason that Fisi hasn't gotten a decent drive is pure timing.

Williams opted for Jordan's Ralf over Fisi on the basis of Ralf's last name, despite the fact that Fisi clearly was the better driver for EJ.

When Fisi's contract was up at Renault, Briatore questionably let him go in favor of his own client Trulli. The ONLY front-line seat available was McLaren and Raikkonen, on the basis of his superb performance at Sauber was the boy for the spot.

I like Giancarlo immensely and I think his talent has been squandered, but a McLaren seat for for 2004 may be too little too late. Honestly, Fisi's best hope is the expiration of Arrows, Minardi and Jordan and the insistence by the FIA that the top teams add a third car. That's the best scenario for Giancarlo.
Old 27 Nov 2002, 20:04 (Ref:438186)   #30
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nigel Roebuck on Giancarlo:

Quote:
Dear Nigel,
Many people rate Giancarlo Fisichella as the most underrated driver on the grid, but I would argue that he is becoming one of the most overrated. He can be a very good driver on his day, but I simply don't see him as a great one. What do you think?

David Cushnan, Manchester
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear David,

I'm with you on this - and actually getting a little tired of reading how underrated Giancarlo Fisichella is. I think he is undoubtedly a hugely talented natural driver, but I've never seen him as a racer, quite honestly. Put it this way, if he's in a scrap with someone, I don't expect him to come out on top.

I think it's a shame, because there's no doubt he has the ability - but then, to me, the same is also true of his fellow countryman, Jarno Trulli. Flavio Briatore once jokingly suggested they were interchangeable, and I know what he meant. Very quick, the pair of them, but lacking that indefinable something

Put either of them in a Ferrari or whatever, and of course they'd win races, but neither, so far as I am aware, has ever been invited to join one of the top three teams, and that's not by chance. Take my word for it, Jean Todt, Frank Williams and Ron Dennis are not slow in coming forward if they think they can see a potential World Champion.

Last edited by Damon; 27 Nov 2002 at 20:05.
Old 27 Nov 2002, 20:16 (Ref:438196)   #31
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
Williams opted for Jordan's Ralf over Fisi on the basis of Ralf's last name,

And to keep the incoming BMW happy? Agreed that Fisi is better than Rafe.
Old 27 Nov 2002, 21:08 (Ref:438228)   #32
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
I know Frank has great forsight but I'm not sure even he knew BMW were on their way all the way back in 1998.
Old 27 Nov 2002, 21:18 (Ref:438238)   #33
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
I know Frank has great forsight but I'm not sure even he knew BMW were on their way all the way back in 1998.

I thought he discussed with BMW back in 1997, when Renault confirmed that they would retire from F1. And maybe part of the deal was signing Ralf Schumacher for 1999.
Old 27 Nov 2002, 22:31 (Ref:438313)   #34
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
You may well be right there.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 15:33 (Ref:438774)   #35
DMC
Racer

Australia
DMC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember BMW pulling out of touring cars worlwide around that time to concentrate on their future F1 efforts.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 16:22 (Ref:438795)   #36
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No no, Williams signed Frentzen to impress BMW and then Ralfie to replace him!

I, like Roebuck, tire of the Fisichella debate. If he was as good as many people seem to think, he would be in a top drive. FACT.

His natural speed is not in doubt. His driving intelligence is (as per Trulli), as are his endurnace and consistency traits.

He can look good, he can qualify well.
Win races - Alesi style perhaps the odd one or few.
The Championship - don't make me laugh! He is nowhere near strong enough. Just imagine little Fisi on the end of TGF's mind games - men against boys is a total understatement - Giancarlo would have lost before he set off to the circuit on Thursday. Now Raikkonen or Montoya would just come flaring back at you. Hence they are the challengers and Fisi helps fill the grid out...
Old 28 Nov 2002, 16:28 (Ref:438798)   #37
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
I totally agree with that sentiment too. I chose not to comment when I posted the quote, it speaks for itself.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 17:20 (Ref:438843)   #38
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In the context of Jordan's current circumstances, Fizzi remains a very 'bankable' asset, as he is still preceived by many as a star.

I agree with the Nigel Roebuck's quote which Damon posted up. After all, it only took Kimi a handfull of races in a Sauber to establish himself as a superstar, enough to get Ron Dennis rushing down the pitlane to do a deal, and Mercedes to get their cheque book out...
Old 28 Nov 2002, 17:50 (Ref:438872)   #39
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
I don't know how anyone can imply Fissi is not top notch without seeing him is a top notch car. If he was partnering JPM this year I think he would have beaten him or forced him to race more consistently. Not because he is faster but he is more consistent. He is what RS should be if he wants to be a fast and consistent racer.

Its like Mark Webber, people say he is so good. But we have never seen him challenged in F1. If the midfield battle is very close so all the teams from Renault to BAR are separated by fractions of a second then we will see the drivers come into play. Otherwise, it is hard to judge.

Watching JV and Fisi race in a couple of races this year I would say JV got the better of him. So I don't know if GF could be called the best but he is definitely strong. He does not attack enough to be called spectacular but he can run the entire race at a strong and consistent pace.

Last edited by neilap; 28 Nov 2002 at 17:52.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 18:31 (Ref:438899)   #40
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV is not in a top-notch car. Is he also not that good to deserve a top notch car?
Old 28 Nov 2002, 18:32 (Ref:438901)   #41
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
No, but for the money he wants you can get better.
Old 29 Nov 2002, 21:32 (Ref:439640)   #42
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
Agreed that Fisi is better than Rafe.
yep , thats got to be true . Its a shame that Fisi doesnt get the backing that someone of like Ralf gets .
Old 29 Nov 2002, 23:52 (Ref:439733)   #43
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Nigel Roebuck on Giancarlo: blah blah blah... <snipped>
Well Damon, your namesake seems to think differently:

21-02-2002 - Ex F1 drivers Jean Alesi and Damon Hill have made a 24-page season preview in the March issue of magazine F1racing. In this preview they rate Italian Giancarlo Fisichella as one of the best drivers in Formula 1 nowadays.

Jean Alesi thinks that Fisichella has got more natural talent than four-time World Champion Michael Schumacher. He also said that the Italian has impressive car-control and that Giancarlo can concentrate on strategy without losing speed.

Damon Hill agrees with Alesi. The englishman thinks that Fisichella is one of the most underrated drivers in F1. Hill also said that Fisichella deserves a better car than the Jordan he is driving in 2002.

Who do you trust more, Damon and Jean, or some F1 journalist?
Old 30 Nov 2002, 10:59 (Ref:440005)   #44
JR Ewing
Veteran

Roebuck, without question. Alain Prost was a good driver but would you hire him to manage your team??
Old 30 Nov 2002, 13:59 (Ref:440084)   #45
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
What's Prost got to do with anything?
Old 30 Nov 2002, 17:51 (Ref:440170)   #46
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
He also said that the Italian has impressive car-control and that Giancarlo can concentrate on strategy without losing speed.
That just about sums him up.
Old 30 Nov 2002, 18:47 (Ref:440186)   #47
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think being teammates with Ralf Schumacher at Jordan effectively ended Fisichella's chances of a top line drive. Everyone seemed to get so caught up in the hype surrounding Ralf that he got hailed as a rare talent while Fisichella was forgotten. Rather like Nick Heidfeld when he was teammates with Kimi Raikkonen.

I feel that is what ruined Giancarlo's F1 career - being paired with a driver with a lot of hype just because he was Michael Schumacher's brother.
Old 30 Nov 2002, 19:11 (Ref:440198)   #48
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Yoong Montoya
I feel that is what ruined Giancarlo's F1 career - being paired with a driver with a lot of hype just because he was Michael Schumacher's brother.
I totally agree with that. I've never rated Ralf and Fisi is better anyway.
Old 30 Nov 2002, 21:26 (Ref:440235)   #49
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
i did used to rate Ralf , but that all went downhill about the year 2000
Old 2 Dec 2002, 08:53 (Ref:440966)   #50
JR Ewing
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
What's Prost got to do with anything?
A demonstration that good F1 drivers make good F1 drivers but not necessarily anything else - ie. talent spotters