Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Oct 2003, 11:54 (Ref:763532)   #1
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jimmy Vasser in Konica car

Vasser was very impressed by how the car went, he said it felt a lot better than the Busch car he raced earlier this year. What really surprised me, is his comment on how the Ford felt a lot better to drive on the street circuit than the Indycars. I guess after the "demolition derby" of the CART race , he may have something.
Old 27 Oct 2003, 07:36 (Ref:764188)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its is an SBR car dont forget, not a used 2nd hand piece of junk Reynard run on the smell of CART's benevolence....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 27 Oct 2003, 07:38 (Ref:764193)   #3
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Wizzby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe it was because it had a roof?

Last edited by Wizzby; 27 Oct 2003 at 07:39.
Old 27 Oct 2003, 07:46 (Ref:764198)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Vasser took the car out and sounded very very smooth on the gearchanges upwards and downwards.

Here's hoping its a demo drive for the enduros in 2004
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 27 Oct 2003, 07:47 (Ref:764199)   #5
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would love to see that GTR, as Jimmy is my favourite CART driver.
Old 27 Oct 2003, 07:59 (Ref:764214)   #6
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I doubt we'd see Jimmy here full time any time soon- wasn't he asking for $1mil to race in CART this year?
Old 27 Oct 2003, 08:00 (Ref:764215)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I was hoping he could keep up and pass Ryan Hunter-Reay for the win And of all the guys in CART at the moment, he's probably my pick too...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 27 Oct 2003, 08:04 (Ref:764218)   #8
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couldn't believe his statement that the AU had a better front end than his Champcar. Says a lot about his Champcar and maybe even more about wtf was happening with the AU for all those years.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 27 Oct 2003, 08:06 (Ref:764220)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Going back aways- I didn't see him going around, but could hear him, and he sounded like he was having a decent go!
Old 27 Oct 2003, 08:14 (Ref:764225)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Mattracer the Reynard is noted as being seriously aerodynamically inferior to its Lola cousin, so its ironic that Jimmy ran the AU which has the same problem against the VX...

Jimmy was giving it curry, but still very smooth in a very unfamiliar car, unfamiliar H pattern box, and RHD... nobody mentioned any times being taken though, would be an interesting comparison...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 27 Oct 2003, 08:23 (Ref:764235)   #11
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Wizzby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought I heard Neil say over the weekend that the two CART chassis have been scientifically tested and neither is superior in aerodynamics...
Old 27 Oct 2003, 08:26 (Ref:764241)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
He may have said it, but anyone in a Reynard is at a disadvantage to a Lola. Well some Lolas. Not even an F1 engine would help those DCR cars

The Reynards got a new front wing package midseason, designed around a Penske product of a few seasons past... so its not quite cutting edge, despite the technical freeze between the chassis.
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 27 Oct 2003, 10:30 (Ref:764375)   #13
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
didnt jimmy say he would love to race bathurst - hope so, he is my favorite USA driver - and a genuine nice guy
Old 27 Oct 2003, 10:35 (Ref:764377)   #14
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, he did say that as he got out of the car
Old 27 Oct 2003, 22:43 (Ref:765153)   #15
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course the taxi felt better to drive around Surfers. Have you ever driven an open wheeler on a street circuit? A billy cart with golf buggy wheels would be more comfortable! It's really just one controlled crash over a bump after another.

Added to that is the fact that the guy is well on the wrong side of the hill so a nice big comfy taxi is probably his cup of tea.
Old 27 Oct 2003, 23:16 (Ref:765190)   #16
MHDT
Racer

MHDT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What he said was that the AU had less understeer and was controlled more easily with oversteer; a characteristic lacking in his Cart car.
Old 27 Oct 2003, 23:22 (Ref:765196)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Because his ChampCar has a Penske nose and a copy of a Lola rear wing... and bitzer sidepods.... aerodynamically unbalanced is the polite way to describe it....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 28 Oct 2003, 04:00 (Ref:765331)   #18
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And because the AU has a big fat 5.0L engine over its front wheels, while the Reynard has Jimmy's legs.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 05:40 (Ref:765372)   #19
LoTeC
Rookie

LoTeC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lets not get balance confused with grip. maybe to get the lap out of and indy car you need to have the understeer
Old 28 Oct 2003, 05:50 (Ref:765376)   #20
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
..and lets not get too confused between too completely different racing cars - just because the supertaxi was set up so it was nice to drive doesn't mean it was fast, similarly, you could set up the Reynard so it was balanced and easy to drive, but it'd probably be slow too.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 07:59 (Ref:765443)   #21
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I beat Winterbottom wanted to say afterwards "Now for my turn in your car jimmy"

now that would have been good to see.

still a good excercise to see what a guy what runs the CART series thinks of v8's.

glowing reports and maybe a possibility in a few years time when Jimmy is finished with openwheelers (if an illusive Nascar contract doesnt come along)
Old 28 Oct 2003, 08:07 (Ref:765452)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
He may just have done Marcus, I reckon Mark may be too tall for a ChampCar... how Mark folded himself into a FF last year is still a mystery
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 28 Oct 2003, 23:23 (Ref:766313)   #23
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Here's a good rumour- reading the Newman Hass press kit, Bruno Junquiera says that after he is finished in open wheelers, he would like to race in V8 Supercars... hrmmmm....
Old 29 Oct 2003, 21:54 (Ref:767471)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
He would make a good replacement for D.Besnard if the Indy driving style was anything to base judgement on.

EEEEERRRRRRRRRRRR....SSMMAASSHH....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 29 Oct 2003, 22:33 (Ref:767521)   #25
harderfaster
Rookie

harderfaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
same thing every year...

When Indy comes to town, every driver "considers" driving V8's when they're finished with CART...

When F1 comes to town it's "these V8's are so exciting to watch... I'd really like to have a drive one day"

When in Rome...