Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Feb 2003, 01:40 (Ref:505079)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
A chink in Ferrari's armour? - First engine failure for F2003GA

Just thought i'd report that the F2003GA being driven by TGF had to stop after 8 laps due to an engine gremlin.

Minor news per se, but considering its Ferrari, if a team member farts out of turn it gets reported.

Taken from F1-live

Looking at the bigger picture though, Ferrari is Ferrari, if the car broke down, belched smoke, torched itself and all 4 wheels fell off they could probably fix it within a few minutes.

I don't imagine this will be a problem for Ferrari, though, it certainly isn't plain sailing as to my knowledge BMW have not blown a single unit yet in testing for this season, though I could be mistaken.

Last edited by Sodemo; 13 Feb 2003 at 01:44.
Old 13 Feb 2003, 02:59 (Ref:505106)   #2
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I read that he had to stop after eight laps, but it did not say it was an engine failure. I forget the exact phrasing, but the team comment was vague and using silly words etc. I suspected at the time it was a convoluted way of saying they had hit a problem, whilst attempted to suggest it was somehow a strategic ploy to only run for eight laps.

Anyway, no, I doubt it is a huge problem. I think considering that the first day there were no problems at all that all is well, besides testing is there to make the car fail effectively: all the better for when it properly begins.

I certainly am not going to be sweating over the issue.
Old 13 Feb 2003, 03:22 (Ref:505115)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Some people will post anything herre to get a little attention.
Old 13 Feb 2003, 03:27 (Ref:505118)   #4
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if you read that entire article it says that they heard a wierd noise and schumacher stopped on his own rather than risk it...think about all the wierd noises your car makes and it makes a whole lot elss noise, how many are problems with the design/manufacture/condition of the car?
Old 13 Feb 2003, 03:49 (Ref:505131)   #5
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
Some people will post anything herre to get a little attention.
Evidently, it was enough to get your attention

Yes, apparently the new engine was making funny noises, so Michael pulled over to minimise the damage, and let the engineers have a look.

Moderators, maybe we could merge all the testing threads into one - seeing as some members seem annoyed with formula one fans talking about formula one testing... preferring instead to talk of more intelligent matters
Old 13 Feb 2003, 03:55 (Ref:505134)   #6
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there is a proliferation of Cr@p being talked about stuff that would not normally rate due to desperation for the season to start (yes, guilty your honour) - only a couple of weeks to go.

IM - a general testing thread would be good if there are a bunch of test results coming up (anybody know whats due?)
Old 13 Feb 2003, 03:59 (Ref:505136)   #7
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Well, for one, there's an F2002 vs F2003GA back to back next weekend, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 13 Feb 2003, 04:02 (Ref:505138)   #8
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
did everyone hear the annoucment about Puma sponsoring cute little outfits for Jaguar next year... Where can i get a pair of Jaguar shoes?
Old 13 Feb 2003, 04:04 (Ref:505139)   #9
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noooooo, Ferarri couldn't possibly allow a straight fight between those in public - the info would be too useful to the other teams (although, at this late stage, there may not be much that they could do about it anyway)

Thanks IM that's something worth looking forward to.
Old 13 Feb 2003, 06:44 (Ref:505176)   #10
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aaahh that's good news Boys, we were witnesses to Michael's annual mechanical problem...
Old 13 Feb 2003, 06:44 (Ref:505177)   #11
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sadly it's nothing to worry about I believe.
Old 13 Feb 2003, 06:53 (Ref:505179)   #12
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
I thought the Ferrari engine blew up big time, just like Honda does. This is not a chink in the Ferrari armour - this is just teething problems. Next thing we will be talking about SchM's football exploits.

Better challenge my declaration that Ferrari has the most powerful and most reliable engine. I dare you to.

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 13 Feb 2003 at 06:55.
Old 13 Feb 2003, 06:59 (Ref:505182)   #13
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The difference is Ferrari have some engineers that will find the problem, and resolve it. Honda's engineers will just look at bigger and better ways to blow things up.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 13 Feb 2003, 08:10 (Ref:505194)   #14
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
I disagree - Ferrai don't have a problem with their engine.
Old 13 Feb 2003, 09:02 (Ref:505226)   #15
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Could the noise have been the new FIA spy screaming?
Old 13 Feb 2003, 09:57 (Ref:505265)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Aaahh that's good news Boys, we were witnesses to Michael's annual mechanical problem...
I think you've hit the nail on the head Red, I don't think Ferrari will be too worried, as we saw last season, Michael had the occasional problem, but it was never in the race, always warm up or free practice.

However, last year must have been an unheard of thing, in terms of his reliability, i don't see how they can possibly repeat that again.
Old 13 Feb 2003, 10:04 (Ref:505268)   #17
Spaced Invader
Racer

England
Attleborough, Norfolk
Spaced Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
long, long, long may it continue. i dont want to sound bitter (well i am) but i think its about time this started happening. regularly.
Old 13 Feb 2003, 10:05 (Ref:505269)   #18
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
However, last year must have been an unheard of thing, in terms of his reliability, i don't see how they can possibly repeat that again.
Of course you don't see... yet... but once the Suzuka GP is over all will be revealed

Jokes aside, I can't see why they shouldn't go only frpm better to better. Reliability problems appear when you try to stretch the tollerance levels too far and something cracks eventually. Why would Ferrari do that? Firstly, reliability is their team's policy and secondly, at least judging by the last season, they don't have to do it anyway; noone pushes them so hard as to risk reliability for an extra bhp or extra ounce saved from the engine...

Last edited by Red; 13 Feb 2003 at 10:12.
Old 13 Feb 2003, 10:09 (Ref:505273)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Red, do you honestly believe that Michael and Ferrari can go an entire season without a mechanical breakdown for a second season?
Old 13 Feb 2003, 10:13 (Ref:505277)   #20
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Yes! I mean I don't bet my last penny on such thing but yes, I honestly believe that. (sorry, I've edited my previous post after you posted the reply)

Last edited by Red; 13 Feb 2003 at 10:15.
Old 13 Feb 2003, 10:16 (Ref:505280)   #21
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
please say there will be a reoccuring problem,
Ferrari's consistancy bored me stiff.
I give the new season 5 races, i schumacker wins 4 im going to find a new championship.
Old 13 Feb 2003, 10:24 (Ref:505287)   #22
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Yeah!! maybe you should pay more attention to Rugby and Cricket. I find them much more entertaining than F1.
Old 13 Feb 2003, 10:32 (Ref:505297)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Cricket. I find them much more entertaining than F1.
Blimey Valve, you must find F1 really boring to think that Cricket is more entertaining

Although, i suppose your lucky, you don't have our cricket team
Old 13 Feb 2003, 11:07 (Ref:505310)   #24
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Yeah!! maybe you should pay more attention to Rugby and Cricket. I find them much more entertaining than F1.
Those that agree with Valve are welcome to follow him out the door
Old 13 Feb 2003, 11:45 (Ref:505329)   #25
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Better to wish for Ferrari-like reliability from the other contenders surely? Where's the sport in wishing failure?